LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X.

Create SubVI from one or more selected wires

This functionality is available in LabVIEW 2018 and later. You can right-click multiple wires on a diagram and select Create SubVI from Selected Wires. Note that if you right-click a single wire, this menu option is available under the Create submenu.

I have probed the water on the general LabVIEW discussion forum with mixed success regarding this idea (some laughing at it, some actually getting the point).

So here it is:

Allow creating a subVI from merely one or more selected WIRES (no other objects being selected). The usefulness of this is typically when you realize that you need to test some data before doing something with the data flowing through this (these) wire(s). You could drop a sequence frame on your diagram, force the wires to go through it and then create a VI from the selected frame, but that's some unnecessary work. I am not saying that's a very critical need but it would seem a natural feature of LV. Right now, if you select wire and choose "Create subVI", nothing happens...

As a side suggestion, since you want to create a VI that has exactly the same outputs as inputs, it would be VERY useful to have the connectors precisely aligned in the connector pane, even when the wires are zigzagging.

My 2 cts.

original.png

7 Comments
Davidek
Active Participant

I'll take your 2 cts and my my own 2. I actually posted the same idea because I didn't see yours when I searched. Great minds think alike, but can still mess up online searches 🙂

I'll post the image I created to illustrate the process here as well (a picure is worth a thousand words, right?)

/David

SubVI from wires.png

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I'll note that you are asking much more: you want the control and indicators to have identical names. You know that currently the naming convention would automatically add a " 2" to the indicator's names, right? Moreover you want the controls and indicators neatly aligned...

I think I would add that if the icons of the VIs on both sides have a similar template, I would like to see the icon of the new VI use that template too. What do you think?

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Just noting that JordanG modified the post to incorporate Davidek's illustration. I have no objection to that, but posters, be aware! Forum moderators can modify your post significantly (without asking or warning!)... I guess that must be written somewhere in the fine prints 🙂

Sam_Sharp
Trusted Enthusiast

Was just about to post this as an idea and saw it was already posted. +1 from me.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

This suggestion is fulfilled by the following shortcut contributed by Aristos Queue: https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-43224

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Beta

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed

This functionality is available in LabVIEW 2018 and later. You can right-click multiple wires on a diagram and select Create SubVI from Selected Wires. Note that if you right-click a single wire, this menu option is available under the Create submenu.