LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create subVI from single wire

This must have been dealt with somewhere, but I can't find it and before I submit it as a suggestion or report it as a bug, here it is:

If I select a piece of wire and go to Edit>> Create subVI... nothing happens. I would expect a Vi created with an input and output having the type of the wire.

Comments welcome.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(3,602 Views)

Why would you want to create a subVI of just a wire?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(3,593 Views)

According to me that has no use.  But who am I? 😉

Kind regards,

- Bjorn -

Have fun using LabVIEW... and if you like my answer, please pay me back in Kudo's 😉
LabVIEW 5.1 - LabVIEW 2012
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(3,589 Views)

Very simple: I've got an array of strings coming out of a Text Ring, and I want to make sure it is not one of those bizarre case of the String array from a Text Ring (😉) being a single element consisting of an empty string. So, I select the wire to create a VI which will have a String Array as an input and a String Array as an output. Create subVI does not do the trick.

Of course I just created a new VI, dropped an array control, dropped a string control in it, Ctrl-Dragged it and changed the copy to Indicator, opened the Connector Pane and connected the two objects, but...

I would have appreciated not having to do all that.

Message 4 of 21
(3,580 Views)

Why not build your code first, select it, and then create subVI?  You will have to do the work anyway 😉

Kind regards,

- Bjorn -

Have fun using LabVIEW... and if you like my answer, please pay me back in Kudo's 😉
LabVIEW 5.1 - LabVIEW 2012
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(3,577 Views)

I didnt understand any of that.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(3,576 Views)

A wire in LabVIEW is nothing more than a variable.  If you simply want to copy a variable's datatype into a subVI, open a new VI and drag in its control.  Done.  The best solution however, is to just learn the LabVIEW datatypes as it's pretty basic (and important!) knowledge.

I suggest you don't report this since the lack of useless functionality is not generally considered a bug.  Smiley Wink

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(3,572 Views)

Never mind.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(3,570 Views)
The question is valid but at the moment it is not possible to create a subvi frm a wire. Maybe you should suggest it in the ideas exchange. T sometimes place a one frame flat sequence, hook up all the wires I need, then convert it into a subvi. 🙂
Message 9 of 21
(3,543 Views)

That was precisely my point. I know how to create a dummy subVI by dropping a sequence on the diagram, but you still need to draw the wire through the sequence (that involves at least three clicks).

My question was rather whether anybody else besides me thought having the possibility to create a VI from a single selected wire (or several for that matter - I just checked that this does not work either) would be useful.

I am glad to have the support of one of the Knights of NI. Off to the LabVIEW idea exchange I am...

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(3,497 Views)