LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moderator1983

Allow to link two arrays so that they can scroll synchronously.

So the request here is to have an option wherein the array indicators (or controls) can be linked with another array indicator (or control) and can be scrolled synchronously.

There could be a property node for that (or invoke node or may be some other way), which will accept the reference of another array and thats all.

Sync Scroll

In above example, Array 1 is linked with Array 2, so whenever the user will scroll (or change the index of Array 2, the same change will reflect in Array 1.

I am not allergic to Kudos, in fact I love Kudos.

Make your LabVIEW experience more CONVENIENT.

26 Comments
moderator1983
Active Participant

Allow to link two arrays so that they can scroll synchronously.

I am not allergic to Kudos, in fact I love Kudos.

Make your LabVIEW experience more CONVENIENT.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

moderator1983: I asked a forum moderator to amend your title.

On the topic of your request: You requested the programmatic "associate these two controls". I would find that sometimes useful, but far more useful for me would be a popup while editing for "Select Associated Array" that would let me tie two arrays together even when the VI wasn't running. So I'll kudos your idea, but I'm adding this comment -- if we do implement this, I'd like to see both mechanisms.

GuenterMueller
Active Participant
AristosQueue: Do you intend to limit that popup to exactly one array? Go for "Select Associated Array(s)" and allow the user to sync any number of arrays, please.
elset191
Active Participant

I've often found it useful to link a 1D array with a particular dimension of a 2D (maybe even 3D) array.  If this idea gets implemented, please provide this functionality as well.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
altenbach
Knight of NI

It seems more natural to use 2D tables, 2D arrays, or 1D arrays of clusters instead.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

GuenterMueller: My thought was that if I wanted a set, I could just chain them along, but whatever... I'm not concerned about the UI at the moment, just wishing for the functionality itself. If it does get worked on, I have complete faith in my UX experts to produce something that covers those sorts of edge cases.  😉

crossrulz
Knight of NI

I'm envisioning using this with a control and an indicator.  That would make it a lot easier to compare input to output.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

altenbach wrote:

> It seems more natural to use 2D tables, 2D arrays, or 1D arrays of clusters instead.

Arrays of clusters are expensive to construct. I don't need to build a whole new data structure with all the reallocation and data copying. I just need a display that when one index moves, the other index moves. I've coded it many times using an Event Structure, but it's a pain and a half to get it right and it doesn't work when the VI isn't running. And +1 to Crossrulz for another good use case where a single control wouldn't work!

altenbach
Knight of NI

Yes, i've programmed around that current limitation myself in the past. How universal should it be?

Do all linked arrays need to reside on the same panel? Probably not.

Should work equally in edit mode and run mode. (Aristos already mentioned that).

Should not require scrollbars and work equally if the index control is changed instead.

How about mixing stuff:  linking an array to the x-scrollbar of a graph? ...or vice versa? Link an array and a table?

etc.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Altenbach: Stop with the feature creep. I'm not asking for exotic. Two arrays. Same panel. When one index changes, the other changes. You want to make a universal connector? *That* is what LV programming and building custom XControls and creating exotic architectures is for. This is so I can scroll some data. 🙂