From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackDunaway

Allow Typedefs to have a User-Defined Wire

Virtually ALL of my more complex typedefs have multiple datatypes wrapped in a cluster. The result? A pink wire. I have fat, pink wires all over my code.

Allow us to choose different patterns and colors for wires on a typedef. Increases the ability to spot a typedef, and allows for distinction between two complex datatypes.

(Note: I am not condoning making a new wire for every typedef... that would be a point of confusion when collaborating. I would just like to add distinction to some of my more distinct typedefs).

CustomWiresForTypedefs.png

5 Comments
Manzolli
Active Participant

Like the concept, but should keep a basic identity, just like the Queue refnum wire.

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
Oligarlicky
Yeah, I'm tired of pink. Too much pink. If objects can each have their own wires why not typedefs. Also, I like the auto wire pattern generation of objects.
Tookys

this would be really useful for me right now, I'm working on vi that has 3 typedefs needing to exchange information at different times, but its annoying trying to keep track of which one is which when they all look the same.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

ALL of my more complex typedefs that have multiple datatypes are classes.

OO lesson 1 is to think of a class as a cluster... You'd probably like it.

Shiv0921

The answer to this is not 'code with LVOOP then'. I love OOP. But, some of us aren't allowed to code with OOP because we have to keep our code simple for the people inheriting it.