From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lock old threads

Solved!
Go to solution

@aputman wrote:

@RavensFan wrote:

And the Thank you is more meaningful than a Kudo you might never see.

When you have 6581...82...83 kudos, they might not be as meaningful.  Smiley Wink

Beat me to it.

That aside, with regards to the suggested change:

- "Soft lock" a topic once it has been solved. Users will be encouraged to start a new topic instead, but replies will still be allowed.

- Lock a topic after 6 months from the last reply. The topic will no longer allow new replies, but kudos and solutions are still allowed.

Is there (or will there be) a delay after the "solved" marker is added? People often mark a solution, then post to say thank you or similar. It would be unfortunate if a measure designed to reduce forum confusion lead to (perhaps especially new) users creating a new thread to thank someone for an old thread.

Probably even a delay of an hour would be enough here (I don't know what the planned mechanism is to guess whether or not that's feasible...)

I'm also not sure about the locking, particularly for 6 months, but I suppose that after 6 months, something is fairly inactive. However, probably most of the contributors are still active and could respond (if they allow subscription to posts they make). After 6 years, the original contributors may not be still using the forum etc, in which case perhaps someone has a reduced chance of getting a (new) answer.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 51 of 98
(4,785 Views)

Some more opinions:

Soft Lock:

Even this should wait a little bit after the first marked solution.  A number of threads (especially some related to benchmarking and efficiency) inspire a certain competitive zeal with lots of contributions and multiple valid solutions after the first one.  Often, the later ones are *better* than the first, but might have been discouraged by a too-soon soft lock.

Maybe soft lock after a marked solution and ~1 week of inactivity?

Hard Lock:

Please no.  I gave some reasons and an example earlier.  Further thoughts now: The forum isn't just for real-time help, it's also a storehouse of info.  In a very general way, search functionality will always keep providing easy entry points into old, inactive threads.  Some of those threads contain wrong, misleading, or obsolete information.  I think it's pretty important to preserve the ability to add correction, clarification or enhancement to low-quality info that can easily be stumbled across.

Legit dormant thread revivals are probably pretty rare, but they *can* be important.  I could be persuaded that such revivals wouldn't have to be *automatically* allowed in all cases, but don't have a particular approval process in mind.

-Kevin P

If I voice my same opinion enough times, will I sound like a majority?

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 52 of 98
(4,745 Views)

The examples continue with this 12 year old resurrection

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 53 of 98
(4,651 Views)

I was previously loathe to post here after the thread seemed to have become inactive (by a relative measure) but here's an interesting counter-example:

Shrinking a block diagram area (nearly 12 years inactive) 

The OP posted in 2008, and was told not possible.

Today, someone points out it is now possible, and then altenbach adds a reference.

OP returns to say thanks - guess they didn't know it had been added?

GCentral
Message 54 of 98
(4,629 Views)

I thoroughly agree with Christian.

Honestly, an old thread being unnecessarily resurrected seems to happen but just a few times per year.

I think a far more pressing problem is how many foreign language speakers post into the English forum rather than the Regional Forums, and I believe that is because the foreign language threads are so buried, no new user can find them!  It happens perhaps 10 times per day.  (But this would be a subject for a different thread.)

0 Kudos
Message 55 of 98
(4,603 Views)

We have a new zombie thread revival leader in the clubhouse!

The new record is 17 years, 2 months 4 days.   Interestingly, it got a fair amount of follow-up with some good, useful, clarifying info.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 56 of 98
(4,560 Views)

Is posting on resurrected post still necro posting?

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
There are two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 57 of 98
(4,546 Views)

Although I'm now resurrecting a 3 month cold thread, this was just too good (15 years, 8 months, entire message):

How can we do it when we are coding in python?

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 58 of 98
(4,465 Views)

Here is an excellent example of why old threads should NOT be locked.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/change-in-PC-hardware-results-in-Error-200018/m-p/4018223

0 Kudos
Message 59 of 98
(4,434 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

Here is an excellent example of why old threads should NOT be locked.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/change-in-PC-hardware-results-in-Error-200018/m-p/4018223

That one (and others) are pretty nice (and describe why I'm also against locking threads).

But in the same day, and to which you also responded: https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/How-do-I-create-a-log-file/m-p/4018245/highlight/true#M1149766

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 60 of 98
(4,428 Views)