cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is Hooovahh

@JÞB wrote:

@johntrich1971 wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

Now, the "BIG QUESTION" why was it way worse?  Did Cleanup replace all your Stacked Sequence Structures with Flat ones?🔥😂

Because Hooovahh did it right the first time. If you do it right diagram cleanup will ALWAYS make the code way worse.

Cleanup never changes the code John.  Hooovahh IMHO generally does write well played out code.

I think that I can bust his chops occasional.   And, please, vote for the Idea Exchange his post inspired!  Here 

I agree that it never changes the code functionality - but for complex programs it can sure make it much less readable. I do believe that it has improved over the years, but I definitely avoid using it. I guess I should have used 🤣 on my post as I know your code is good too and you were just having some fun.

0 Kudos
Message 251 of 460
(10,102 Views)

It probably could be turned into a metric for code quality by testing how much better/worse it looks when hitting cleanup. 🙂

I probably should disable this keyboard shortcut, because I NEVER use it on my own code.

Diagram cleanup is useful on code downloaded from the forum, where it often dramatically improves the diagram, but for really bad code there is always the risk that it will lock up forever 😉

0 Kudos
Message 252 of 460
(10,096 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

It probably could be turned into a metric for code quality by testing how much better/worse it looks when hitting cleanup. 🙂

Like my favourite coding metric!

So here's a provocative question - as your code tends towards being infinitely split into small sub VIs (where diagram cleanup can only affect a handful of elements), at what point does the altenbach metric* become meaningless due to the increased burden of somebody having split every primitive into a subVI? 😄

---
CLA
Message 253 of 460
(10,086 Views)

@thoult wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

Like my favourite coding metric!

So here's a provocative question - as your code tends towards being infinitely split into small sub VIs (where diagram cleanup can only affect a handful of elements), at what point does the altenbach metric* become meaningless due to the increased burden of somebody having split every primitive into a subVI? 😄

I nearly <tongue in cheek mode = FULL ON> I shudder to mention it but, perhaps you should search for Meatballs, Spaghetti code and pastarofarianism on this breakpoint.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 254 of 460
(10,073 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Cleanup never changes the code John. 

I think that I can bust his chops occasional.   And, please, vote for the Idea Exchange his post inspired!  Here 

If your idea exchange is implemented then, technically cleanup will change the code (for the better,  it it’s still changing the code). 😇 😈

0 Kudos
Message 255 of 460
(10,068 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

I probably should disable this keyboard shortcut, because I NEVER use it on my own code.😉

I wouldn't go that far.  I use it to clean up my wires instead of the right-click option.  It does save a little time.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 256 of 460
(10,062 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

I probably should disable this keyboard shortcut, because I NEVER use it on my own code.😉

I wouldn't go that far.  I use it to clean up my wires instead of the right-click option.  It does save a little time.

I also use it for straitjacketing ( yes, that is not an automatic correction I really meant straitjacketing) wires on my own code.  I DO NOT use default settings for Cleanup but, tweak the crap out of the LabVIEW.ini options for layout.  And, BONUS! I think that I can hit a Ctrl+U without misskeying quite as bad as Brian.  Maybe I might accidentally bring up the vi history ( Ctrl+Y) or vi properties (Ctrl+I) but I still don't know what Brian was trying when he 'hit missed' and Cleanup (Ctrl+U)  was triggered <is there an emoji for THAT?>  his claim that he was going for an "Open VI" action just doesn't hold water!  

CA's " postage stamp standards " for subVI size should not be dismissed cavalierly. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 257 of 460
(10,053 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

I also use it for straitjacketing ( yes, that is not an automatic correction I really meant straitjacketing) wires on my own code.  I DO NOT use default settings for Cleanup but, tweak the crap out of the LabVIEW.ini options for layout.  And, BONUS! I think that I can hit a Ctrl+U without misskeying quite as bad as Brian.  Maybe I might accidentally bring up the vi history ( Ctrl+Y) or vi properties (Ctrl+I) but I still don't know what Brian was trying when he 'hit missed' and Cleanup (Ctrl+U)  was triggered <is there an emoji for THAT?>  his claim that he was going for an "Open VI" action just doesn't hold water!  

CA's " postage stamp standards " for subVI size should not be dismissed cavalierly. 😄

A while ago I turned on Window's sticky keys. That makes key combinations a lot easier. I can press CTRL and then a key, instead of having to press CRTL and the key at the same time. It's also very convenient with CTRL+ALT+drag to shrink.

I turned it on because the cats like my arms as pillow, but it's mostly not annoying when it's on, so I always have it on now.

In addition I can program my wacom tablet buttons to act as CTRL and ALT, but the cats like to walk over it pressing the buttons... Working from home has it's ups and downs.

0 Kudos
Message 258 of 460
(10,038 Views)

I have to ask.   What do the cats think they are doing; code review or public service?

Message 259 of 460
(10,032 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

I have to ask.   What do the cats think they are doing; code review or public service?

😁 Rubber ducking?

Message 260 of 460
(10,029 Views)