BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rube Goldberg Code

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

That's all way to complex.

But people just love stop buttons (and even start buttons!) on the front panel. 😄

(None of my distributed exes have a stop button. The [X] in the upper right corner is just fine and every kid knows how to use it. (Of course we discard it an initiate shutdown using a filtering event).

Message 2141 of 2,565
(11,036 Views)

(Seen here)

Help! Somebody stole my math palette!!!

...and now I have to do everything with express VIs (x*1000, a-b, a+b, etc.)

altenbach_0-1578252957744.png

Also note that the "simulate signal" is a single point DC with Gaussian noise and is set to "simulate acquisition timing", so that seems to cash with the configurable wait.

For comparison, Here's a near literal translation (using the digital displays for chart and meter to eliminate some indicators).

altenbach_0-1578257916212.png

Message 2142 of 2,565
(10,976 Views)

That was an assault on the eyeballs.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2143 of 2,565
(10,962 Views)

(Seen here)

So somebody responds in french to an ancient english thread, suggesting the following to "create a pulse".

malkheir_0-1581676572389.png

The only place this belong is the Rube Goldberg thread!

After I point out the serious code flaws, he flies off the handle with the following, threatening to report me and other people like me to NI... 😮

(using google translate of this post😞

I answered the gentleman who asked how we create a pulse.

1) If your problem is that I answer in French, the next time I answer you in Arabic.

2) If you have not understood the algorithm, these your problem, another station understands it.

3) If you are a little educated, I assure you that you do not answer in this bad way.

4) You are not the only person on this page, so there is a minimum of respect against others.

5) I don't care about your next answer, and I want National Instruments to make the right decisions against you and if there are other people like you.

Cordially... 

Message 2144 of 2,565
(10,813 Views)

Sometimes, we find some Easter egg in the conversion forum. (example from here)

So, to simulate the movement of a colorbox along a conveyor, we apparently need 3 loops, lots of convoluted logic, a sequence structure and tons of local variables, most to unlabeled (!!!) controls/indicators.

altenbach_0-1581802240526.png

It definitely can be done with a single loop and no locals. Also, the pulleys scale should probably have a 360 degree arch to simplify things, Also, their scale range should be significantly higher than the max speed to avoid alias speeds. etc. Many more improvements are possible and needed, for example the code should be invariant to the object locations on the front panel, etc.)

0 Kudos
Message 2145 of 2,565
(10,788 Views)

In today's rube: How little of your block diagram do you have to show to make your point?

phat stacks.png

And yes... They're all stacked.

Remember Cunningham's Law
Message 2146 of 2,565
(10,696 Views)

A depth of 45 (!) nested structures is my record. Handed over by a customer... If I could "add reporting" to it. *sigh*.

I had to made a script to determine it 😊.

Message 2147 of 2,565
(10,591 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

A depth of 45 (!) nested structures is my record. Handed over by a customer... If I could "add reporting" to it. *sigh*.

I think Ben calls them "nesting pyramids".  I cannot even visualize what 45 levels of nesting looks like.  😄

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2148 of 2,565
(10,554 Views)

@billko wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

I think Ben calls them "nesting pyramids".  I cannot even visualize what 45 levels of nesting looks like.  😄

I can't post an image.

1) It's proprietary, and

2) It didn't load with the LLVM compiler.

When opening the LV11 VI in LV 13, the memory would go up until 2 GB, and than LV would hang. I had to use Ned to switch to the legacy compiler, so I could open it. Before editing, I had to deliberately break the code. If I didn't, LV would try to compile the VI and that would take minutes for each change I made.

I can't actually recall how I made the delivery. The trauma must have made me forget it.

Message 2149 of 2,565
(10,535 Views)

Sometimes the choices on how to "include data" are a bit weird. So when asked to include data, the poster decided to paste the formatted table into a free front panel label 😮

Looking at the VI posted here, I was surprised that free labels have a max. height of 16002 pixels. Seems arbitrary...

pix.png

In this case, there are many more (>2k!) lines than cannot be shown unless we dramatically decrease the font size (<8pt)

0 Kudos
Message 2150 of 2,565
(10,510 Views)