BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Posts (An alternate to side discussions)

A few observations...

The stated strategy early on here was to aim for herd immunity without immunisation. Once a group of epidemiologists released some modelled projections of likely deaths, the stated strategy very quickly shifted to 'let's deny we ever thought [organic] herd immunity was a good idea' as well as trying to delay the peak.

What's become all-too-evident in my household, where my wife likely contracted it 18 weeks ago, is that deaths aren't the only serious outcome. Long term effects in the otherwise young and healthy, the knock on effect on childcare and work patterns, the potential for life-altering primary and secondary symptoms...infection has a seemingly more damaging range of outcomes than something like the flu. I sometimes wonder if those with more dismissive attitudes towards it know any or many people who have experienced it. I have yet to talk to or hear from anyone who's experienced it who thinks much differently to me.

If there's a possibility that - through a combination of relatively minor changes to lifestyle and behaviour until a vaccine is available to allow us to artificially achieve herd immunity - we could do something to avoid other families having to go through what we have (and worse), then I am happy to try.

And yes, listen to the epidemiologists and scientists. We don't ask the National Enquirer to tell us how to send men to Mars, we ask NASA.

---
CLA
Message 2251 of 2,258
(9,402 Views)

@thoult wrote:

And yes, listen to the epidemiologists and scientists. We don't ask the National Enquirer to tell us how to send men to Mars, we ask NASA.

Not NASA, Elon Musk.  But, yes, listen to your doctor and follow their advice.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2252 of 2,258
(9,392 Views)

@thoult wrote:

I have yet to talk to or hear from anyone who's experienced it who thinks much differently to me.

And yes, listen to the epidemiologists and scientists. ...

My wife and I suspect we had it in December of last year. She actually took a day off of work (very rare for her). I spent a Saturday in bed and had a dry cough that I have never experienced previously.

No we have NOT been tested, that is why I wrote "suspected"

Yes, we should listen like Proverbs says "There is wisdom in a multiple of councilors." But in the end we have to make decisions fro ourselves.

For what it is worth...

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2253 of 2,258
(9,372 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@thoult wrote:

Not NASA, Elon Musk.  But, yes, listen to your doctor and follow their advice.

The naff attempt at an aphorism didn't track so well with SpaceX!

Maybe... "We don't ask the Sun  how to fly guys to the moon, we ask SpaceX" 😁

---
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2254 of 2,258
(9,365 Views)

@Ben wrote:

@thoult wrote:

I have yet to talk to or hear from anyone who's experienced it who thinks much differently to me.

And yes, listen to the epidemiologists and scientists. ...

My wife and I suspect we had it in December of last year. She actually took a day off of work (very rare for her). I spent a Saturday in bed and had a dry cough that I have never experienced previously.

No we have NOT been tested, that is why I wrote "suspected"

Yes, we should listen like Proverbs says "There is wisdom in a multiple of councilors." But in the end we have to make decisions fro ourselves.

For what it is worth...

Ben

I shall amend my comments to say 'many' instead of any from now on then 🙂

My personal experience was fairly mild, albeit with recurring symptoms every few weeks. My wife...not quite so lucky with hers. We're just glad she managed to avoid hospitalisation for the respiratory part...the hospitals were not a pretty sight at that time. Still, it continues to be a long road back to good health.

Testing here has been somewhat farcical. Fingers crossed it's improved for the autumn, as it's looking like several parts of Europe may be beginning to see some uptick again in detected cases.

Meanwhile, one notable upshot of the last few months is that our local hospital saw significant reductions in nosocomial infections for gastro related issues within weeks of more insistent handwashing advice from public health bodies and the government...always worrying when it takes a global pandemic to remind hospital staff to wash their hands thoroughly after visiting the toilets or eating!

---
CLA
Message 2255 of 2,258
(9,360 Views)

For those that thought they might have had it in December, probably not. We had a really nasty upper resp go through this area, and with Kerry and daughter having just come back from Italy the beginning of December, we thought that too. Fever, difficulty breathing, etc.. I was down from around Christmas until Mid-January, Kerry too. Didn't get to see my then new born granddaughter until late Jan, then the plague hit. The daughter, a doctor in the metro NYC area (in NJ), on the front lines of the C19 battle, got antibody testing, a couple of times, as well as getting tested for C19, and all have been negative. So unless an antibody test shows you had it, December appears unlikely in the US.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 2256 of 2,258
(9,258 Views)

For your Friday enjoyment, I was looking through some hardware documentation and found this beauty on the cover of a user's guide.

2020-10-23 12_44_04-DRV109xxEVM Quick Start Guide (Rev. C).png

https://www.ti.com/lit/ug/slyu022c/slyu022c.pdf?ts=1603294962774

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 2257 of 2,258
(9,088 Views)

These glasses are cutting edge. 😄

Message 2258 of 2,258
(9,063 Views)