BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW journey starting point

I am really eager to read your starting point with labVIEW.Like year and initial learning process.Would be grt to read and know abt the starting point of altenbach,ben,tst,mike and others.Also share some blunders which u had done on the way while learning labVIEW which u would laugh at now.

I began using labVIEW in the year 2004.After i completed my post graduation,I started searching for a suitable job and as i had done my Ms thesis based on machine vision ,I got selected in a interview.During interview i was told that i will be working in labVIEW.Frankly i had not even heard of my name and i told my family that i got selected in an R&D firm and i think i will be working in an labSmiley Very Happy.

I seriously didnt have any idea of labVIEW and worse i was given one month time and after which they told i would be assigned a project. LabVIEW was defenitely not very easy to begin with and took me 4 days to read an image successfully.And there was a point where i used to break my head for displaying an image.Vision assistant will display the processed image properly but i generate a vi from the same the image will not get displayed.Then learnt abt palate,buffer etc was a very intresting journey and got a feeling that had i used labVIEW for my thesis on machine vision i would have finished it in a month's time.

And i am still learning but with a feeling that  the problem can be solved...........
Message 1 of 47
(10,431 Views)
You might find this thread interesting.

The thread Yair mentioned talk about my conversion to LabVIEW and my bio in the Champion site (see signature for link) talk about my background, but to fill in the blanks for this Q.

I feel I had two starting points for LabVIEW. The first is were I feel in love with the idea of graphicly representing code and the second was when I learned how to use LV correctly.

The First...

Dr. Jeremy Levy (former child actor, co-stared in Sophie Choice) and asked me to develop an application that perfomed automatic allignment of single-mode optical fibers. It used three stepped motors copuled to a fixture's adjustment knobs and an intensity sensor to adjust the fixture for max power coupling. This was at first very painful and it probaly took me half a day to figure out I had more than one tool available and a while more to figure out that weird icon was a spool of wire. So I started wiring things up and was then faced with the next challenge, how do I keep track of the previous value so I can decide if its getting better. The grad student that served as my expert had trouble figuring out what I wanted but eventually told me about shift registers. So I code on and my diagrams started getting confusing >>> learned about bundling into clusters. But I still need to make things more understandable so I ended up implementing a sub-VI that used the max icon pattern to hadle all of the boolean in-outs. The sub-VI call looked like a spider web.

But it worked, sorta. You just could not re-run it without closing it and re-opening.

So after leaving the world of academia for the real-world...

I started working for Data Sicience Automation were I had the privledge of being formally trained by Richard Breuggman (the first non-NI Certified Profesional Instructor) in LV basics I & II. THis is when I started to learn how to code in LV correctly and my love of LV grew as a result. I had an epiphany (sp?) that shift registers will retain their values from call to call (ever wonder why I seem fixated on AEs?). DSA put me through the full gambit of NI training but that was nothing like what I learned from Info-LabVIEW. I never did a lot of posting to that group but I read every message. In fact early on I turned to one of my co-workers and said "What is with this Rolf Kalbermatter guy? It seems he replies to every message!" At that point Rolf Kalbermatter and Jean-Pierre Drolet becaome my virtual mentors and mich of my advanced knowledge of LV came from them, UNTIL NI started the forums. I then subscribed to every message from Rolf, Jean-Pierre and Greg McKaskle reading their posts multiple times until I understood what they were saying.

So that what got me started.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 47
(10,362 Views)

develop an application that perfomed automatic allignment of single-mode optical fibers.

So is that your first project?That should have been one  tough project to begin with.Thanx ben that was a very interesting journey.Thanx for sharing it.
Message 4 of 47
(10,353 Views)
I still remember when i created my first subvi. I changed the connection in the subvi and it throwed up an error.It took me a day to figure out there was some thing called "relink to subvi".
Message 5 of 47
(10,293 Views)

My first project was to monitor a Mock Circulatory Loop for durability testing of a Cardiac Assist Device.

That was many years ago...

Message 6 of 47
(10,252 Views)

My first project was to monitor a Mock Circulatory Loop for durability testing of a Cardiac Assist Device.

That was many years ago...

And when was the first time  u created your subvi  Joe?
Message 7 of 47
(10,182 Views)

I still remember when i created my first subvi. I changed the connection in the subvi and it throwed up an error.It took me a day to figure out there was some thing called "relink to subvi".

Well to be honest  i created a  subvi and was wondering as to how should i call this  into my main vi . Well didnt take  a days long thoughSmiley Very Happy
Message 8 of 47
(10,180 Views)

I can't remember when I created my first sub-vi... 

What I do remember is that it was nearly by mistake.  I noticed a selection that said "create sub-vi"..  So I highlighted some code and selected it.  Studied what it did and then started doing my own (manually)...  However, it's evolved a great deal since then.  I think it was with LV6....

R

Message 9 of 47
(10,171 Views)
yeah joe i too started labVIEW with 6. And just curious to know abt the first version of labVIEW.Has someone worked on it?
Message 10 of 47
(10,158 Views)