From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double Posts/Triple Posts?

Why not Jamaican? Jacob_mon? 🙂
Message 41 of 65
(16,989 Views)

And yet another 9+ year gap...http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/bitstream-into-decimal-values/m-p/3082900#U3082900.  At least this one is asking for an updated version of example code.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 42 of 65
(16,939 Views)

I'm on a roll today, over here - http://forums.ni.com/t5/PXI/swapping-hard-drives-between-PXI-8115-and-PXI-8105-won-t-boot-up/m-p/308...

Perhaps someone can help with my PXI dilemma?

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 43 of 65
(16,897 Views)

@Jacobson-ni wrote:

Also, the mystery has been solved.  

Intern.  I didn't call them a dum-dum for HR reasons but I did think it in their general direction.

Another intern? Admittedly it isn't as bad at 9 years but still.

0 Kudos
Message 44 of 65
(16,715 Views)

So this thread went dry, but I had a new thought.  Does anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with users who hijack a 10 year old thread for a topic that very loosely relates to them?

Does saying "Make a new thread." 10 times a day do anything?  I think locking a thread older than some age goes too far, since there are times when updating a really old thread is the right way to reply.  I don't mind the increase in post count, but it's not like you're going to get a kudo, or marked solution for replying with "Make a new thread."

I like the passive aggressive method of telling someone to use a snippet which I've seen recently.  Can anyone think of a creative way of telling the user to not do this?  Would showing a pie chart of what new technologies came out when the post was first created help drive the point home?

0 Kudos
Message 45 of 65
(16,241 Views)

Well, I mean... I've been guilty of dragging up an old thread in order to add to it.  I'm not even sorry. I looked for 20 min for a coincise way to do that without any good answers and thought I'd save other people the trouble in the future.

0 Kudos
Message 46 of 65
(16,228 Views)

@BowenM wrote:

Well, I mean... I've been guilty of dragging up an old thread in order to add to it.

I'm not talking about adding to a conversation.  A thread similar to "DAQ hardware not working" from 2002, then a student reply with "My hardware doesn't work either, oh and how do you search an array?" but with less readable text.

0 Kudos
Message 47 of 65
(16,223 Views)

I should have quoted what I was referencing. Sorry!  My last post was with respect to

@Hooovahh wrote:

Another intern? Admittedly it isn't as bad at 9 years but still.

As for the other... well, there is a saying:  "You can't fix stupid".  I can't think of a good way to prevent people from posting to old threads stupidly without restricting it all together.

0 Kudos
Message 48 of 65
(16,208 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

So this thread went dry, but I had a new thought.  Does anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with users who hijack a 10 year old thread for a topic that very loosely relates to them?

Does saying "Make a new thread." 10 times a day do anything?  I think locking a thread older than some age goes too far, since there are times when updating a really old thread is the right way to reply.  I don't mind the increase in post count, but it's not like you're going to get a kudo, or marked solution for replying with "Make a new thread."

I like the passive aggressive method of telling someone to use a snippet which I've seen recently.  Can anyone think of a creative way of telling the user to not do this?  Would showing a pie chart of what new technologies came out when the post was first created help drive the point home?

I don't think there's much we can do about this other than assign an NI rep who is in charge of directing people the right way when a thread is reborn older than X years. But that's not going to happen.

I don't mind redirecting people, aggressively or passive aggressively, and a lot of the time I'll follow up through their account to see if they started a new thread (if they were nice enough in their first post). Here's an example of what I usually say.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 49 of 65
(16,144 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@BowenM wrote:

Well, I mean... I've been guilty of dragging up an old thread in order to add to it.

I'm not talking about adding to a conversation.  A thread similar to "DAQ hardware not working" from 2002, then a student reply with "My hardware doesn't work either, oh and how do you search an array?" but with less readable text.

Add a Macro?

You may find the style guide a useful resource to improve your code http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/321393d.pdf#labview_style_guideBen's famous Action Engine Nugget is always a good read. http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Community-Nugget-4-08-2007-Action-Engines/m-p/503801Time to XL can be downloaded from here https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-19689Lets see what happens if I shake the 8-Ball, Sometimes it works
~~~~~~~~Oh 8-Ball ~~~~~~~~Have you read the manual for that device?What is the device model number? Can you post a link to the manual?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 50 of 65
(16,108 Views)