cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double Posts/Triple Posts?

Why not Jamaican? Jacob_mon? 🙂
Message 41 of 65
(16,942 Views)

And yet another 9+ year gap...http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/bitstream-into-decimal-values/m-p/3082900#U3082900.  At least this one is asking for an updated version of example code.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 42 of 65
(16,892 Views)

I'm on a roll today, over here - http://forums.ni.com/t5/PXI/swapping-hard-drives-between-PXI-8115-and-PXI-8105-won-t-boot-up/m-p/308...

Perhaps someone can help with my PXI dilemma?

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 43 of 65
(16,850 Views)

@Jacobson-ni wrote:

Also, the mystery has been solved.  

Intern.  I didn't call them a dum-dum for HR reasons but I did think it in their general direction.

Another intern? Admittedly it isn't as bad at 9 years but still.

0 Kudos
Message 44 of 65
(16,668 Views)

So this thread went dry, but I had a new thought.  Does anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with users who hijack a 10 year old thread for a topic that very loosely relates to them?

Does saying "Make a new thread." 10 times a day do anything?  I think locking a thread older than some age goes too far, since there are times when updating a really old thread is the right way to reply.  I don't mind the increase in post count, but it's not like you're going to get a kudo, or marked solution for replying with "Make a new thread."

I like the passive aggressive method of telling someone to use a snippet which I've seen recently.  Can anyone think of a creative way of telling the user to not do this?  Would showing a pie chart of what new technologies came out when the post was first created help drive the point home?

0 Kudos
Message 45 of 65
(16,194 Views)

Well, I mean... I've been guilty of dragging up an old thread in order to add to it.  I'm not even sorry. I looked for 20 min for a coincise way to do that without any good answers and thought I'd save other people the trouble in the future.

0 Kudos
Message 46 of 65
(16,181 Views)

@BowenM wrote:

Well, I mean... I've been guilty of dragging up an old thread in order to add to it.

I'm not talking about adding to a conversation.  A thread similar to "DAQ hardware not working" from 2002, then a student reply with "My hardware doesn't work either, oh and how do you search an array?" but with less readable text.

0 Kudos
Message 47 of 65
(16,176 Views)

I should have quoted what I was referencing. Sorry!  My last post was with respect to

@Hooovahh wrote:

Another intern? Admittedly it isn't as bad at 9 years but still.

As for the other... well, there is a saying:  "You can't fix stupid".  I can't think of a good way to prevent people from posting to old threads stupidly without restricting it all together.

0 Kudos
Message 48 of 65
(16,161 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

So this thread went dry, but I had a new thought.  Does anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with users who hijack a 10 year old thread for a topic that very loosely relates to them?

Does saying "Make a new thread." 10 times a day do anything?  I think locking a thread older than some age goes too far, since there are times when updating a really old thread is the right way to reply.  I don't mind the increase in post count, but it's not like you're going to get a kudo, or marked solution for replying with "Make a new thread."

I like the passive aggressive method of telling someone to use a snippet which I've seen recently.  Can anyone think of a creative way of telling the user to not do this?  Would showing a pie chart of what new technologies came out when the post was first created help drive the point home?

I don't think there's much we can do about this other than assign an NI rep who is in charge of directing people the right way when a thread is reborn older than X years. But that's not going to happen.

I don't mind redirecting people, aggressively or passive aggressively, and a lot of the time I'll follow up through their account to see if they started a new thread (if they were nice enough in their first post). Here's an example of what I usually say.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 49 of 65
(16,097 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@BowenM wrote:

Well, I mean... I've been guilty of dragging up an old thread in order to add to it.

I'm not talking about adding to a conversation.  A thread similar to "DAQ hardware not working" from 2002, then a student reply with "My hardware doesn't work either, oh and how do you search an array?" but with less readable text.

Add a Macro?

You may find the style guide a useful resource to improve your code http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/321393d.pdf#labview_style_guideBen's famous Action Engine Nugget is always a good read. http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Community-Nugget-4-08-2007-Action-Engines/m-p/503801Time to XL can be downloaded from here https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-19689Lets see what happens if I shake the 8-Ball, Sometimes it works
~~~~~~~~Oh 8-Ball ~~~~~~~~Have you read the manual for that device?What is the device model number? Can you post a link to the manual?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 50 of 65
(16,061 Views)