BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any updates on Labviewguru?

Remember this story? I wonder if he's still slinging wires somewhere?

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(11,921 Views)

When last I exchanged e-mails with him, he was still working through the recovery.

A lot of time has transpired since the old days and I think he would fit right in if he found time to return.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2 of 14
(11,870 Views)

I guess the new account name is a bit of a misnomer.  I'm only retired from programming.

Things are different for me.  I never could adapt after suffering brain damage, and realized that my ability to interact with people in society was sacrificed and I retained my ability to be self-sufficient.  So, I'm on a sailboat, trying to be just that.

Anyway, I thought I would post what I started when I got involved in writing a book on LabVIEW programming guidelines.  It can be found at http://disperser.info/documents/LabVIEWRulesToProgramBy(Incomplete)(Wolf2001).pdf for those who are interested.

It was written before LabVIEW 7, so it's a bit retro or whatever the equivalent term is these days.

I'll likely be programming again, hopefully as soon as next year.  I'm putting together my ship with some electronics and can't wait to integrate instruments and their communications systems (NEMA, SeaTalk, etc.) and even create my own devices.  I'm still quite the inventor, I've just been busy inventing ways to deal with a society I'm no longer able to.

Anyway, enjoy.  I'll attach it here too, since I just noticed I could...

I hope everyone is doing okay.

Message 3 of 14
(8,092 Views)

@LabVIEWGuru(Retired) wrote:

I'll likely be programming again, hopefully as soon as next year.  I'm putting together my ship with some electronics and can't wait to integrate instruments and their communications systems (NEMA, SeaTalk, etc.) and even create my own devices. ...

Nice to read you are still at it!

Perfect timing on your return to coding since NI is releasing a FREE version of LabVIEW next year.

For my part it is good timing for me to be able to keep coding after I retire come the end of this year.

Take care of yourself!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(8,061 Views)

@LabVIEWGuru(Retired) wrote:

I'll likely be programming again, hopefully as soon as next year.  I'm putting together my ship with some electronics and can't wait to integrate instruments and their communications systems (NEMA, SeaTalk, etc.) and even create my own devices.  I'm still quite the inventor, I've just been busy inventing ways to deal with a society I'm no longer able to.

That's interesting...  We have an employee who also wants to work out of his boat and do the small and large loops while working part-time and remotely.  We do hire people who retire but want to stay technically active while earning part-time salary.  We adjust contracts to meet their needs (2 people).  Interested??

Message 5 of 14
(7,886 Views)

Interested yes, capable, not at the moment.

My difficulties aren't actually because of my injuries.  My difficulties are because I cannot provide for myself the controlled environment I need to accommodate my newfound sensitivity to distraction:

When I was originally a programmer, I did so from absolutely no experience.  I was exceptional at it because I fully immersed myself in it.  I recall a program, written in LabVIEW on Windows NT which was 140Mb in size, ran on four threads, and ran a gas valve tester.  I had the program memorized in it's entirety, including 7 levels of decision trees where most people are only capable of 4.  I was, in short, a genius, and able to program because I could concentrate solely on programming.  For me to learn anew would require going through school, from about 5th grade actually - albeit in an accelerated program - so that I could reacquire the basics and learn it the same way everyone else did - by memorization and tricks; rather than simply having such a complete understanding in my mind as I used to be able.

Fortunately, I retain my LabVIEW skills.  Unfortunately, using them requires something I don't have - a stable situation in my life.  Right now I am at the mercy of a corrupt government in a very corrupt place overrun with greedy rich tourists and people hell bent on making as much of their money as they can.  I'm no tourist, but that's not how I appear.  So my time is spent dealing with protecting myself.  I don't even have time to maintain my health properly these days.  Posting here on the forums was in part because I have some down time while I'm temporarily at ease, and because I rediscovered my programming guidelines and saw that LabVIEW was offering a free version, and wanted to take the opportunity to provide the new people with a great foundation for programming so they don't have to spend years trying to break bad habits.

So, while I'd love the chance to take up the challenge of writing again; it's all I can do to get through the days right now.  I probably need a year before I could even think about programming, and at that, I'll likely be making ferro-cement boats and making enough money to not need to do any professional programming.

Thank you for the consideration though. 

Message 6 of 14
(7,861 Views)

Alfa?

Message 7 of 14
(7,844 Views)

I fully understand.  I just had dinner with a friend who used to be a C++ Programmer and has difficulty with programming as a result of a stroke.  Health is #1.  Without a good health... there isn't much.  We all learn that the hard way.  😞  Hint:  Patch on the avatar's right eye.

It is important to love doing things that we love.  There is plenty of stress out there that we do not need to fall into its traps. 

Take care!

RayR

Message 8 of 14
(7,834 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

Alfa?

Don't think so..

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(7,833 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

Alfa?

Corrupt governments and self-aggrandizement notwithstanding, definitely not Alfa - https://forums.ni.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/15143

(7,797 Views)