From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A call for modern CPU benchmarks

I have a longstanding list of benchmarks designed to gauge the parallel performance for computing complicated EPR spectra.

The "CPU wars" (AMD vs Intel) have really heated up in the last years, but my table of benchmarks is woefully lacking any modern entries.

I recently bought an entry level computer at Costco for $1100 (Ryzen 7, 5700G, 65W TDP) and was surprised that it came within 15% my my gigantic dual E5-2687W (2x 150W TDP) from less than 10 years ago in terms of parallel performance. This entry level system is now on top of all single CPU machines (and overall way (way!!) on top for single core performance). The parallelization advantage is less than 8 because of automatic thermal management. It's getting complicated. I have not played with overclocking.

altenbach_2-1657739031067.png

If anyone has any new 5th generation Ryzen (e.g. 12 or 16 core version) or any of the newer Intel processors you can help me fill in the blanks and update the list. I am also especially curious about the new hybrid Intel processors containing a mix of performance and efficiency cores. Of course any other CPU not in the list would be valuable too.

If you have 64bit LabVIEW 2020 installed, you already have the runtime engine. All you need is download (click right here!), unzip, and run the installer (no reboot necessary!), run the benchmark while not doing heavy computations, and send me the results. Then you can uninstall cleanly (It will leave some dlls in %TEMP% that you can delete any time). Any participation is highly appreciated.

I will not use your e-mail for anything else, of course. Promise!

altenbach_1-1657738827373.png

Message 1 of 36
(3,973 Views)

Well, after enabling MSI creator Genie in the bios (i.e. automatic overclocking), it is actually now in second place, only beat by a 48 core monster 😄 )

(Sorted by the "Parallel" column)

altenbach_0-1657750140107.png

Wow!!!!

Message 2 of 36
(3,941 Views)

Note that the core count are read incorrectly using current LabVIEW tools for some of the newer processors. (e.g. Testing an eight core Ryzen processors, it shows as 16 full cores instead of 8 hyperthreaded cores). For the table, I inspect the datasheet from the web to make sure.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 36
(3,938 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Well, after enabling MSI creator Genie in the bios (i.e. automatic overclocking), it is actually now in second place

4th place.  Check your email for a Ryzen 7 5800X 8 core, and Ryzen 9 5900X 12 core.  The office, and family computers.

Message 4 of 36
(3,930 Views)

Already entered in the table!!! Thanks you so much!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 36
(3,925 Views)

I think your download site is blocked by my company firewall, so i can't download the benchmarker.

I only have Intel Core I3-9100, don't think it'll be useful unless you are looking to pad the bottom of the list 😄

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 36
(3,775 Views)

@AeroSoul wrote:

I think your download site is blocked by my company firewall, so i can't download the benchmarker.

I only have Intel Core I3-9100, don't think it'll be useful unless you are looking to pad the bottom of the list 😄

I'm also at the bottom* , but I thought the idea was to make the list as long as possible.

* Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 36
(3,772 Views)

Thanks! The I3-9100 is quite a modern (9th gen)  processor (high clock, 4 real cores, etc.) and will probably perform quite well.

(There is no way anyone can push the Atom N450 out of last place. (Still respectable at 5.5W TDP considering it even has integrated graphics. 😄 ))

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 36
(3,764 Views)

Could you provide an alternative download link?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 36
(3,726 Views)

@AeroSoul wrote:

Could you provide an alternative download link?

Not sure what you need. What kind of error are you getting with the current link?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 36
(3,709 Views)