BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A call for modern CPU benchmarks

OK, Hijack over:

I found the problem, unrelated issue.

LVCompare.exe (LV 2015 version at least) has the Temp folder hardwired somewhere, it doesn't work if you change the default Temp folder within the LV environment. Or if it can be changed, I don't know where.

I had changed this when cleaning up my data and forgot this bug.

Message 21 of 36
(2,622 Views)

@Intaris wrote:

OK, Hijack over:

I found the problem, unrelated issue.

Whew, you had me worried there for a second. 😄

(I assume you installed the standard 2020 runtime engine from NI, and not the special "lite" runtime engine I made for users that don't use any NI software beyond my programs) 

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 36
(2,608 Views)

Now that we have CPUs that do TFLOPS, I was reminded of an old ad in Byte magazine where you could buy an add-on card for your PC to get up to 125 kflops for only $1199. 😄

altenbach_0-1660852992377.png

(Back in these days, I actually had the spectrum simulation code running on a VAX 11/780(?))

Message 23 of 36
(2,591 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Back in these days, I actually had the spectrum simulation code running on a VAX 11/780(?)

Back in those days I had a speak and spell...just kidding I was 5 months old.

Message 24 of 36
(2,589 Views)

Back in those days I was king of my peer-group because I could program a golf game on my Tandy Pocket Computer.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 25 of 36
(2,563 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

(I assume you installed the standard 2020 runtime engine from NI, and not the special "lite" runtime engine I made for users that don't use any NI software beyond my programs) 

How does one go about creating their own runtime engine?

I usually just need VISA support for the programs i write and people don't wanna use them due to the bloat of a whole runtime engine 😄

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 36
(2,422 Views)

Attached is the benchmark result on a Intel Core i7-1260P laptop with Windows 11 Pro, set to high performance mode. The performance is a little over the place, with high single thread performance for the first few cycles and high multi thread performance afterwards. Could this be an artefact of Intel's hybrid architecture or are laptops usually so variable in their performance characteristics?

Message 27 of 36
(2,398 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Note that the core count are read incorrectly using current LabVIEW tools for some of the newer processors. (e.g. Testing an eight core Ryzen processors, it shows as 16 full cores instead of 8 hyperthreaded cores). For the table, I inspect the datasheet from the web to make sure.

Technically it's not hyperthreading, it is 16 integer cores, if memory serves. I'll test my 5800x when i get home. 🙂

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 36
(2,357 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:
Technically it's not hyperthreading, it is 16 integer cores, if memory serves. I'll test my 5800x when i get home. 

I thought that was the previous AMD generation where pairs of integer cores shared a floating point unit.

Zen cores are quite different.

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 36
(2,347 Views)

@AeroSoul wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

How does one go about creating their own runtime engine?

I usually just need VISA support for the programs i write and people don't wanna use them due to the bloat of a whole runtime engine 😄

Well, I have a project with basically nothing in it except a dummy VI and then create an installer without defining any source files (The installer builder complains about that, but you can just ignore the warning). Under additional installers, I only define exactly two items: (1) the runtime engine and (2) the math kernel libraries, nothing else. (If you install the runtime engine from NI, you get a lot of extra baggage, such as NIPM).

Obviously, my lite runtime is only recommended for computers that don't have any other NI software installed and will only ever use my hardware-free analysis programs.

This is not really different than to include the specific runtime components with each installer build, except that if it is a separate install, all my other installers are much smaller (10-20MB instead of 200MB!) and the install/upgrade of any one of my programs takes seconds instead of minutes. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 36
(2,338 Views)