NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
We've turned on a search before post feature in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. This new feature will help cut down on the number of duplicate ideas in this space!

The NI Idea Exchange is a product feedback forum where NI R&D and users work together to submit ideas, collaborate on their development, and vote for the ones they like best. View all of the NI Idea Exchanges to post an idea or add your opinion on an existing one today!
Jim_Kring

Support for Additional 3rd Party Installers when building an Installer

by Active Participant Jim_Kring on ‎02-03-2010 04:31 PM

When creating an installer for a built LabVIEW application, it is very difficult (see here) to include an additional 3rd party installer (such as a device driver or application that your built application depends upon).  What I'd like to see is a solution that treats 3rd party installers as first class citizens.  I'm imagining a new "Additional 3rd Party Installers" page of the Installer build specification properties dialog.

2-3-2010 1-35-27 PM.png

This page might look something like the one in the screenshot below, allowing users to add a folder that contains the 3rd party installer files and define a command that is run inside that folder during the install process.

2-3-2010 1-41-08 PM.png

When LabVIEW builds the installer, it would suck the additional installer folders into the main installer and, after installing your app files and the additional NI installers, it would sequencially extract your additional 3rd party installers into a temp folder and then execute the command line to run.  This is a pretty simple scheme that would really simplify the process for end users.

I'm sure I didn't address every issue of this use case, so please, everyone, feel free to add your own ideas.  I'd love to hear your comments.

Comments
by Active Participant crelf on ‎02-03-2010 04:49 PM
I usually build an extra installer with all my extra stuff in it, and it's a pain!  I'd love to see everything in one place...
by Member shew82 on ‎02-03-2010 06:52 PM
Installers for LabVIEW applications are such a pain - this would certainly be a very welcome improvement (and along similar lines, maybe the option to detect & install .net so that our users dont end up with the rather confusing "the VI needs the full development in environment error")
by Proven Zealot on ‎02-05-2010 03:10 AM
A very useful ask. Kudos.
by Active Participant vix on ‎02-08-2010 01:09 AM

A really useful idea. Kudos.

I think that also these additional installers should be executed with the same User rights as the LabVIEW application "setup.exe".

Let me explain:

if I right click over setup.exe and select (Run as... - Win XP) or (Run as Administrator - Vista and 7), also the additional installers should be launched with the same credentials (without re-typing the password), or their installation could fail..

by Member SanRac ‎02-16-2010 03:22 AM - edited ‎02-16-2010 03:27 AM

Please consider the addditional suggestion to this idea here

Message Edited by SanRac on 02-16-2010 03:27 AM
by Member TimmTheEnchanter on ‎10-30-2010 05:34 PM

I love this idea. 

I would like to point out one thing, however, which could open up a bag of worms.

There is another idea about auto-detecting which installers are needed when building an executable.  Incorporating this idea with yours seems like the next logical step, but it would be terrible to expect any NI software to automatically detect needed third-party installers.

Like I said, your idea alone is GREAT.  I'm just thinking that if these two ideas were developed together, it could be very troublesome.

by Member eximo on ‎07-28-2011 03:48 PM

Yep, very necessary, 5 star idea!!!

KUDOS.  This is so useful it should be a patch, and not something in a new version

by Member No_RegreTs on ‎05-11-2012 05:16 PM

************* Its pain!!! I look forward to!

by Active Participant Himanshu_Goyal on ‎01-31-2013 05:05 AM
by Member SmilingPhil on ‎03-13-2014 08:55 PM

Is there any feedback about this idea from the R&D team? It could make our lifes ten times easer If LabVIEW has this function.

Latest LabVIEW Idea Exchange Blog Posts
About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count