From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim_Kring

Support for Additional 3rd Party Installers when building an Installer

The referenced document describing how to use Post install actions is the best way to do this.  All of the effort going forward will be based on packages using the NI Package Manager.  NI will not be adding additional functionality to Windows Installer options.

When creating an installer for a built LabVIEW application, it is very difficult (see here) to include an additional 3rd party installer (such as a device driver or application that your built application depends upon).  What I'd like to see is a solution that treats 3rd party installers as first class citizens.  I'm imagining a new "Additional 3rd Party Installers" page of the Installer build specification properties dialog.

2-3-2010 1-35-27 PM.png

This page might look something like the one in the screenshot below, allowing users to add a folder that contains the 3rd party installer files and define a command that is run inside that folder during the install process.

2-3-2010 1-41-08 PM.png

When LabVIEW builds the installer, it would suck the additional installer folders into the main installer and, after installing your app files and the additional NI installers, it would sequencially extract your additional 3rd party installers into a temp folder and then execute the command line to run.  This is a pretty simple scheme that would really simplify the process for end users.

I'm sure I didn't address every issue of this use case, so please, everyone, feel free to add your own ideas.  I'd love to hear your comments.

17 Comments
dsloan

I still can't believe NI hasn't added this yet.

RTSLVU
Trusted Enthusiast

YES! I havebeen wanting this fir years!

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
SteveC_43
This would indeed be extremely helpful. I'm quite surprised it doesn't exist already.
Pierre_F

kudo from me. Smiley Mad

Pierre FCentum TNS, Grenoble
Certified LabVIEW Associated Developer
EricR
Active Participant
Status changed to: Declined

The referenced document describing how to use Post install actions is the best way to do this.  All of the effort going forward will be based on packages using the NI Package Manager.  NI will not be adding additional functionality to Windows Installer options.

Eric Reffett | Director, Product Management | 1.512.683.8165 | ni.com
SeanJ
Active Participant

Can't understand why this has been declined, it should be relatively straightforward and would be incredibly helpful....

SteveC_43

I agree. As much as a subscription for this software costs, things like this should be made easier to accomplish as it provides more justification for the expense.