NI Package Manager (NIPM)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An error occurred while installing the MSI at 'nisystemlink_message_brokeri.msi'.

I get the following error message while installing LabVIEW Community version 2021:

An error occurred while installing a package: ni-systemlink-message-broker (21.1.0.49688-0+f536)

Additional error information:
An error occurred while installing the MSI at 'nisystemlink_message_brokeri.msi'.

Please help me resolve the issue. (I am trying to reinstall the software in D drive after uninstallation. I did not get this error while installing for the first time).

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(29,043 Views)

sarlett_hp, more details are needed to help others debug the issue, specifically log files that Windows can generate. Please follow the instructions in Generating and Locating NI Package Manager Error Logs for obtaining Package Manager and MSI logs, try to install again to reproduce the error, and then review new log files and post back to this forum thread.

Scott Richardson
https://testeract.com
Message 2 of 17
(29,021 Views)

This has been such a pain I wish NI would fix this.

Carey3255_1-1630516953694.png

Uncheck the box:  NI Web Server Development Support for LabVIEW xxxxx xx-bit

After that things seem to go just fine.

Carey3255_0-1630516926631.png

Message 3 of 17
(28,975 Views)

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing these installation issues. There has been a lot of work done to improve this installer so I'm surprised you are having issues with this particular version. Would you be willing to provide msi installation logs so we can determine the specific issue causing the failure?

Here are the instructions for 'Enabling MSI Logs'.
Generating and Locating NI Package Manager Error Logs

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(28,952 Views)

@maxbrown & @Scott_Richardson

I also ran into this problem.

I installed SystemLink and due to some other issues needed to do an uninstall.  I uninstalled all NI software, and then restarted the installation and received the same error reported above with the "nisystemlink_message_broker.msi"

I grabbed the MSI installer log as well..  It's too large to post directly, but here is a dropbox link to the file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xpdfig69h3hpwui/NIPkgWinInst_ni-systemlink-m_20210930T164136.log?dl=1

The error occurs at line 40469, and the error doesn't particularly make sense to me.

This is preventing us from installing systemlink on a customer system and is very frustrating.  Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss.

I've tried a few things to resolve, and nothing seemed to work.  Very open to any suggestions here.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(28,731 Views)

@jyoung8711

Looking at the log, the failure is occuring when tryting to run sc.exe to start the installed 'NI SystemLink Message Bus' Windows service.

C:\windows\system32\sc.exe start "NI SystemLink Message Bus"

StartService FAILED 2:
The system cannot find the file specified.

I haven't seen this particular issue before. I'm wondering if there could be an issue with the registry entry for the service not getting cleaned up when you uninstalled. How did you perform the uninstall?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(28,683 Views)

Thanks for the response @maxbrown

I've done the install twice -- First being "standard", second being "as thorough as I could"

1. Uninstalled everything from NIPM, uninstalled NIPM

2. Uninstalled everything from NIPM, uninstalled NIPM, deleted <Program Files>\National Instruments & <ProgramData>\National Instruments, cleared registry for HKLM\Software\National Instruments & HKLM\Software\Ericsson

The last registry entry was one I was already familiar with due to an issue on an older version of systemlink which had issues with Erlang & RabbitMQ where the registry issues were potential issues, but ended up solving a different way.  See this link for more info there:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/An-error-occured-while-installing-a-package-ni-skyline-rabbitmq/m-p...

For what it's worth, I also tried reproducing this issue on a VM that I have on my own system, and could not... When I did the uninstall / reinstall, everything went smoothly.

One thing I'll also note, is that similar to the original poster, I DID have a piece of NI software installed on an alternative drive (D:\)... though in my case it was DIAdem 2018.  I don't think DIAdem 2018 had components of the message broker installed with it though, so I don't think that is related, but felt the need to point it out.

Very open to other suggestions...If there are other Registry entries that I missed, or need to remove for a "complete" uninstall of the Erlang/Rabbit components, let me know.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(28,677 Views)

@maxbrown --

We have resolved the issue.  I think there was a combination of things going on here, but the final resolution seemed to be the following :

1. On Uninstall, remove the HKLM\Software\Erlang registry key

2. Uninstall the "NI SystemLink Message Bus" Service.  This can be done by:

a. Launch Command Line as an admin

b. Run the command : sc.exe delete "NI SystemLink Message Bus"

3. Re-install other software.

It seems that for whatever reason, the initial uninstall process left BOTH the registry entries and that service hanging around.  Apparently the first log I grabbed happened before (1), but the I did (1) before actually posting here.

On a subsequent install I was still getting an error, and on a whim decided to capture the logs again, and got a different error.  Specifically I got the info below

Spoiler

CAQuietExec: "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\Skyline\RabbitMQ\rabbitmq_server-3.8.9\sbin\rabbitmq-service.bat" install

Application exit code:

Application stdout:

Active code page: 65001
CAQuietExec:

Application stderr:

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\Skyline\RabbitMQ\erl-23.1\erts-11.1\bin\erlsrv: Unable to register NI SystemLink Message Bus service with service manager.
CAQuietExec: Error: The specified service already exists.
CAQuietExec:
CAQuietExec: C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\Skyline\RabbitMQ\erl-23.1\erts-11.1\bin\erlsrv: No service with the name NI SystemLink Message Bus exists.
CAQuietExec:

That was a pretty "coherent" error message.  I checked and sure enough the listed service DID exist, so I just removed it.  The subsequent install went off without a flaw, and everything started correctly on reboot.

So, it looks to me that the Erlang/RabbitMQ install/uninstall processes can still be improved a bit (or at least it appears as though there are some corner cases that still exist), but at least we were able to get there eventually.

Thanks for the suggestions! 

Message 8 of 17
(28,666 Views)

@jyoung8711

I'm glad you were able to resolve the installation issues. This feedback is very helpful. We can definitely look into services and registry keys not getting cleaned up appropriately on uninstall. 

Message 9 of 17
(28,652 Views)

bro thanks you saved my assigment and my day 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(22,535 Views)