Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreliable detection of USB-6210

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a USB-6210 that I am using on a HP laptop. If the USB-6210 is plugged into the laptop at bootup, the USB-6210 is not detected by MAX and is unusable.

If I unplug it, the computer beeps (the usual beeping noise when you unplug a USB device), and then plug it in again, the computer beeps again, but the USB-6210 is still not detected by MAX.

If I wait until computer boots up before plugging in the USB-6210, then it works OK. On two other identical laptops (purchased at the same time, identical hardware and software) the USB-6210 works OK whether it is plugged in before or after bootup, so there is something different about this particular laptop, but I don't know what.

Any suggestions?

I have tried completely uninstalling NI-DAQmx and reinstalling, but this didn't help.

I am using Windows XP, SP3, NI-DAQmx 9.3.5 on all three laptops.

Thanks,

Mark.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(5,042 Views)

Hi Mark,

I believe we have seen something similar to this in the past.  The recommendation was to try this:

1) According to HP's USB Troubleshooting guide, "Many USB problems can be resolved by disabling USB Legacy Support in the BIOS". To do this, follow the steps outlined in the About USB Legacy Support section of the article.

2) Change the boot order in BIOS so that USB devices boot last.

3) Dig around in the BIOS for any other USB settings that maybe be affecting this

4) Try using a USB hub

5) Try booting with just the USB-6210 connected

Let me know if this helps.

Matt S.
Industrial Communications Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(5,029 Views)

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried them all except number 4 because I didn't have a USB hub to try. None of them helped.

Some more information...

Sometimes when I plug the DAQcard in, it installs Ok, and sometimes it doesn't.
The times when it doesn't install properly, it shows up in the device manager as "USB Firmware Loader", rather than "USB-6210".
When it does install properly, the computer beeps and "USB Firmware Loader" is shown in the device manager, the computer beeps again and "USB Firmware Loader" disappears, and then the computer beeps a third time and "USB-6210" is shown in the device manager.

So it looks like sometimes something gets stuck halfway through the installation process. Once this happens, the only way to recover is to reboot the computer. Unplugging and replugging the DAQard won't help.

But even when the DAQcard installs OK, it doesn't always run for very long. Last night I set a data aquisition program running, but after about 25 minutes it crashed because the DAQcard stopped functioning (green LED on the device had stopped flashing).

The DAQcard itself is not faulty because it works perfectly on two other computers.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(5,018 Views)

Hi Mark,

It might be possible that this is occurring: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2E02F8EC5D0197928625758C005FFD8D

One more thing I can think of is to try this: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/EDA23D2970BD16C6862577D70006E3CA

Let me know how these turn out, thank you!

Matt S.
National Instruments
Message 4 of 14
(5,009 Views)

Hi Matt,

OK, making some progress now...

I checked the NI Device Loader service as you suggested. It was set to Automatic, but even so, sometimes when the computer boots up, the service doesn't start up, and so the DAQcard doesn't install. If I manually start up the service after bootup, the DAQcard installs propery.

So how can I ensure that the NI Device Loader service always starts running when the computer boots up? Setting it to Automatic doesn't seem to work.

I applied the Microsoft Hotfix that you suggested. It didn't fix the startup problem, but I'll leave the computer running an acquisition program overnight to see if it fixes the problem where the program crashes after a while because the DAQcard suddenly stops working.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,999 Views)

Hi Mark,

Good to hear we've isolated the issue.  I think I found something that may be of help with this: http://ae.natinst.com/public.nsf/web/searchinternal/0819391ca91b3eb38625731d00024649?OpenDocument

Try second step, with the recovery tab, and let me know if that resolves the issue.  Thank you for your prompt replies!

Matt S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,989 Views)

Hi Matt,

I couldn't open that link (http://ae.natinst.com/public.nsf/web/searchinternal/0819391ca91b3eb38625731d00024649?OpenDocument), it just comes up with an error.

Some good news though. My program ran overnight without crashing, so maybe the hotfix did some good. Lots more testing needed though to confirm.

Cheers,

Mark.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,981 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MIG

Hi Mark,

Apogolies, for the incorrect link. This link should work: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0819391CA91B3EB38625731D00024649?OpenDocument

Good to hear that the hotfix may have some positive effect.  Let me know if this helps, thanks!

Matt S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,978 Views)

Thanks Matt,

The link  now works. Looks promising, but I won't get a chance to try this out until next week.

I'll get back to you on Monday to let you know how it went.

Cheers,

Mark.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,973 Views)

Hi Matt,

I think I can consider this problem fixed now.

The computer does seem to reliably install the DAQcard after bootup now, after I changed the NI Device Loader service settings.

I have run my program a couple of times overnight without it crashing, so that problem seems to have gone away as well (fingers crossed).

Thanks very much for your help.

Cheers,

Mark.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(4,940 Views)