Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to synchronize two recording devices using a single DAQ

Hi,

I have some questions about how to synchronize audio and videorecording using a single DAQ device.

In my setup I’m using two devices, one for videorecording (pointgrey camera fl3 u3 13s2m cs, https://www.ptgrey.com/flea3-13-mp-color-usb3-vision-sony-imx035-camera) and one for audiorecording (Ultrasoundgate 416H, http://www.avisoft.com/usg/usg416h.htm, 4 microphone channels), that are connected to the same computer, but started by two different softwares. What I’m trying to do is to find a way to start both recordings at the same time so that to synchronize the two data (video and sound). The goal is to know precisely when sounds occur during the video.

I'm completely new in this kind of tasks and in the field of data acquisition, so any help is truly appreciated.

- Do you think that connecting both recording systems to the same DAQ device will allow me to solve this issue? If so, once both systems are connected to the DAQ, can I start symultaneous recording always from the computer? How?

-What type of DAQ device would be better for this task? May you give me some suggetion?

-What method of syncronization should be performed? I read about start trigger synchronization and sample clock synchronization, but I'm not sure which of the I need to use.

-Once recording has been done, will I have to different files as output? (One for audio and one for the video)

Plese tell me if you need more information

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,406 Views)

Hi,

I have some questions about how to synchronize audio and videorecording using a single DAQ device.

In my setup I’m using two devices, one for videorecording (pointgrey camera fl3 u3 13s2m cs, https://www.ptgrey.com/flea3-13-mp-color-usb3-vision-sony-imx035-camera) and one for audiorecording (Ultrasoundgate 416H, http://www.avisoft.com/usg/usg416h.htm, 4 microphone channels), that are connected to the same computer, but started by two different softwares. What I’m trying to do is to find a way to start both recordings at the same time so that to synchronize the two data (video and sound). The goal is to know precisely when sounds occur during the video.

I'm completely new in this kind of tasks and in the field of data acquisition, so any help is truly appreciated.

- Do you think that connecting both recording systems to the same DAQ device will allow me to solve this issue? If so, once both systems are connected to the DAQ, can I start symultaneous recording always from the computer? How?

-What type of DAQ device would be better for this task? May you give me some suggetion?

-What method of syncronization should be performed? I read about start trigger synchronization and sample clock synchronization, but I'm not sure which of the I need to use.

-Once the recording has been done, will I have 2 different files as output? (one for audio and one for the video?)

Please tell me if you need more information.

Than you very much.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,403 Views)

@MikeGacho wrote:

Hi,

In my setup I’m using two devices, one for videorecording (pointgrey camera fl3 u3 13s2m

The goal is to know precisely when sounds occur during the video.

-What type of DAQ device would be better for this task? May you give me some suggetion?

-Once the recording has been done, will I have 2 different files as output? (one for audio and one for the video?)

Please tell me if you need more information.

Than you very much.

You know the scene when a filmcrew starts a new take?  This funny table with numbers running on it and making some 'noise' (clicks) ?

(Sorry don't know the name..)

It's all about synchronisation...

You run two different systems with individual timebases (Cam and soundrecrorder have individual timebases, your DAQ and your PC also..)

So  what do you mean by: The goal is to know precisely when sounds occur during the video. ?

How long is your record?

Place a metronome (mechanic or electronic one) in the FOV ?

Why you need a DAQ? Do know your cam has DIOs ?

Can you remotely (software) control these two applications to start recording? 

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,389 Views)

No reason to post it 4 times in different sub groups... keep it in a single thread!

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,345 Views)

There's many many ways to sync it up. You can use the clapperboard or metronome as suggested. In other systems, it's not uncommon to have a third system to act as the master timing controller. It would start by sending n triggers per second to the camera and maybe 44.1Khz to the audio device and the devices would sample when they get a trigger. You could then just count through the samples to find which occurred at the same time. A third way would be to use some sort of GPS timestamp on both to get a very accurate time of when each frame was recorded.

Message 5 of 6
(3,329 Views)

Both your camera and A/D have a trigger input.  The easiest way to do what you want involves no NI hardware at all.  Simply wire up the trigger pins to a button, configure an acquisition using each device, and then push that button.  They'll start simultaneously.

They will however very slowly drift apart since the clocks are not synced.  If you need to do long acquisitions at extreme accuracy, you should sync the clocks.  Your A/D also supports this, although your camera does not, so you will need more complex logic to make it work. 

Message 6 of 6
(3,284 Views)