Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12 or 8 bit depth problem

I am using the linked Vi to grab a 16 bit image from a camera link camera.

However, the output image is always 8-bit regardless of my settings and the MAX settings.

Max sees the image as 16 bits without problems.

I actually succeeded in recording 16-bit images with this setup before, using the previous version of the NI-IMAQ drivers, but other camera properties did not work.

Any Ideas on what I could be doing wrong?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(4,161 Views)

I don't think your version of IMAQ supports Grayscale(U16).  Change the image type to Grayscale(I16) and see if it works.  Then you will know for sure.

Randall Pursley
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(4,164 Views)

I have tried all the settings for the IMAQ create vi, none of them work...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(4,160 Views)

Hi IsaacT,

To understand what could be wrong, could you please give us the NI-IMAQ driver version and the model of your camera and your framegrabber?

Sincerely

David S.| Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer
National Instruments France

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(4,147 Views)

Hi

I'm using a 1433 frame grabber, a Baumer HXC40 camera, and version 4.6.4 IMAQ drivers.

Thanks a lot for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(4,146 Views)

When you say that "I actually succeeded in recording 16-bit images with this setup before". that was with this camera?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(4,143 Views)

Yes, same camera, same frame grabber, simply the previous version of IMAQ drivers. I am almost certain it was the same vi that succeeded in recording 16bit images.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(4,140 Views)

Could you use a property node "Image parameters >> Image Type" on the IMAQ Session out to see what is the image type use by the frame grabber?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(4,134 Views)

The image is definitely reported as "Grascale(U8)". It is very strange, since MAX sees it as a 16bit image ( see attachment) and A 8-bit version looks very different(see attatchment 2).

(the change in size is just to keep acceptable file sizes)

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(4,129 Views)

Ok so you could probably use the VI IMAQ Set Camera Attribute to define a U16 or a I16 for your camera, as you have it in MAX?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(4,123 Views)