From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12 or 8 bit depth problem

I am using the linked Vi to grab a 16 bit image from a camera link camera.

However, the output image is always 8-bit regardless of my settings and the MAX settings.

Max sees the image as 16 bits without problems.

I actually succeeded in recording 16-bit images with this setup before, using the previous version of the NI-IMAQ drivers, but other camera properties did not work.

Any Ideas on what I could be doing wrong?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(4,202 Views)

I don't think your version of IMAQ supports Grayscale(U16).  Change the image type to Grayscale(I16) and see if it works.  Then you will know for sure.

Randall Pursley
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(4,205 Views)

I have tried all the settings for the IMAQ create vi, none of them work...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(4,201 Views)

Hi IsaacT,

To understand what could be wrong, could you please give us the NI-IMAQ driver version and the model of your camera and your framegrabber?

Sincerely

David S.| Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer
National Instruments France

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(4,188 Views)

Hi

I'm using a 1433 frame grabber, a Baumer HXC40 camera, and version 4.6.4 IMAQ drivers.

Thanks a lot for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(4,187 Views)

When you say that "I actually succeeded in recording 16-bit images with this setup before". that was with this camera?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(4,184 Views)

Yes, same camera, same frame grabber, simply the previous version of IMAQ drivers. I am almost certain it was the same vi that succeeded in recording 16bit images.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(4,181 Views)

Could you use a property node "Image parameters >> Image Type" on the IMAQ Session out to see what is the image type use by the frame grabber?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(4,175 Views)

The image is definitely reported as "Grascale(U8)". It is very strange, since MAX sees it as a 16bit image ( see attachment) and A 8-bit version looks very different(see attatchment 2).

(the change in size is just to keep acceptable file sizes)

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(4,170 Views)

Ok so you could probably use the VI IMAQ Set Camera Attribute to define a U16 or a I16 for your camera, as you have it in MAX?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(4,164 Views)