LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tdms

My tdms files are too big for excell to be effective at viewing the entire waveforms. I'm considering DIAdem for the future. For now, I just need to pull certain time slices of the waveforms into excell. How should I pull these specific pieces?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,376 Views)
I don't think you can do that with the Excel Add-In that we provide for TDMS.  You would have to create a TDMS file that only contains the subset of data you want to look at. That can be done pretty easily by opening the original file, reading your data subset (using the "count" and "offset" terminals on "TDMS Read") and putting that data into a new file.

You might want to check out the TDMS File Viewer VI, because the TDMS Viewer comes with a similar feature (use the "Settings" dialog to specify your data range). The VI is not password-protected, so feel free to have a look at how it is implemented.

Hope that helps,
Herbert
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,369 Views)

Thanks! I was inspired by the viewer but it's not flexible enough. My tdms file contains a 1-D array of waveforms(DBL). How do I convert time to # of bytes of that?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,366 Views)
Not sure I understand the question.
- What were you trying to do that the TDMS Viewer wouldn't let you do?
- I assume that by time, you mean the T0 of the waveform. What number of bytes are you looking for? (the width of the timestamp is 128bit, but I don't think that's your question ... )

Herbert

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,364 Views)
Wait, I think I understand. There's an error in the documentation that states that offset and count are in # of bytes. In fact, both are number of values, so you don't need a conversion.

Herbert
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,363 Views)
That should be perfect. I will try that assumption.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,346 Views)
I would like to view waveforms stacked in one window. Unless I've missed the point, one weakness of the viewer allows only one wave for view.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,345 Views)
You can view either everything in the file, or everything in a group, or a single waveform. You cannot view an arbitrary selection of waveforms. Touché Smiley Happy

Herbert
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,336 Views)

Herbert,

I'm brand new to Labview so all the one on one is appreciated. How can I select the waves to pull from a TDMS?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,333 Views)
You can wire the group name and either a single channel name or an array of channel names to "TDMS Read" in order to load a particular group of channels. You can use "TDMS List Contents" to get a list of the groups and channels that are in your file.

You might want to have a look at some of the TDMS examples (e.g. Write/Read Event Data) and this document to learn more about how to use the TDM Streaming API.

Herbert
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,327 Views)