LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

serial scan until \r\n

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to log the serial data showing up in a text box indicator to a plain text file. I have accomplished this task, but now I need to make sure that a partial string will never be printed to the file. I need a way to scan the data and print it to the text file without only printing a part of the string. I have tried scanning for the \r\n termination characters but still, no luck. I am fairly new to Labview so any help would be appreciated. I am sure that this is easier than I am making it out to be.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 34
(4,125 Views)

I would check the string and search for a pattern (in your case, the End of Line Constant that can be found at the Programming >> String palette).
If the pattern is found, then you use the information. Otherwise, simply ignore it.

Take a look at the String functions inside the Programming Palette. Your journey starts there 😄

Regards

Mondoni
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 34
(4,116 Views)

That is what I thought I should do, however I'm not exactly sure how to do that. I have tried using case structures, but I am not exactly sure how to use them correctly. Can you tell me a little more about how I would go about doing this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 34
(4,110 Views)

You can use the Search/Split String to locate the EOL characters.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 34
(4,101 Views)

So I don't need to use any case structures then?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 34
(4,098 Views)

You will probably need a case structure for when the EOL was or was not found.  But the case structure should not be comparing any strings.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 34
(4,090 Views)

I'm sorry but as I said I am fairly new to Labview and don't have a firm understanding of how to wire the case structures to test for a condition. Can you tell me if I am on the right track? I uploaded a screenshot of my block diagram.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 34
(4,085 Views)

Delete the string going to the case structure and wire the Offset Past Match indicator to the Case Structure to indicate anything after 0 --> (1...). You'll have to modify your case structure to handle the integers.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 34
(4,046 Views)

Ok, so there are two conditions..

1: EOL has occurred 

2: EOL has not occurred 

Keeping printing to the file until EOL occurs

Do nothing if EOL occurs

How do you signify "do nothing" in Labview

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 34
(4,039 Views)

On the 0... (told you incorrectly before) case, just don't wire anything into it.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 34
(4,031 Views)