From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pass object as reference

Hiw can i pass a LV object as a reference?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,498 Views)

What exactly do you mean?

You can create references as seen in the picture...

Remember Cunningham's Law
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,494 Views)

Sorry i didn't have a proper question. I have a LV class - Thread. Which has a VI that runs ascyn. LV is baased on data flow, thus most things are pass by values. However i wanted to hold values for the Object created in the VI therefore it has to be pass by reference.

Whats the generic lass for LV object?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,475 Views)

You can use a global variable in that case. Check out the link below.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361G-01/glang/global_variable/

Satish

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,465 Views)
Well, global would solve the problem not i won't do it as it defeats the purpose of OO, having data encapsulated. Anyway thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,463 Views)

You can still create references from objects. I was able to do it, in the usual way ( Right click object -> Create -> Reference).

Once you drop the class in block diagram, did you select right - click and  'Change to control' ?

Satish

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,458 Views)

Search this site for "Singlton".

There are a couple of ways of achieving a Singlton in LV. Early versions used a single element queue to hold the data so that only the thread that has the lock on the queue can access it.

An updated version uses a DVR (Data Value Refence) to hold the instance of the class.

If you are developing an Active Object there is supposedly ( I have not read it yet) an Actor pattern recently included in LV.

I hope that helps,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,441 Views)