From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

measuring current in ni usb 6009

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi there,

Im trying to measure the curren in ni usb 6009, but it is showing wrong values, how do i connect my connectoin just like measuring the voltage postive and negative? and what is the use of external shunt and internal shunt? please do help me, im very struck at it. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,922 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rithesh
The device can only measure voltage. It does not have an internal shunt do you must provide an external resistor, measure the voltage across it, and calculate the current.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,918 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rithesh

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10643

you could buy something like this shunt resistor board and wire it in series with the device you want to measure the current through.

If you then measure the voltage accross this shunt resistor, you can calculate in labview the current flowing through the device that it is wired in series with: V(acrossshunt)=R(shunt value)*I(current) --> V(acrossshunt)/R(shunt value)=I(current)

-pat

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,884 Views)

Thank you. I have ACS712 i can do with that right for measuring the current ?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,860 Views)

Hi Ritesh,

yes, you can…

When creating your PCB don't forget a stabilized voltage supply for that IC!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,854 Views)

I have used similar devices from Allegro and they work fine.

The output voltage with no current will be half the supply voltage to the sensor and will change from there as the current varies.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,852 Views)

Hello, I am doing my final year project.  I am using  NI-6009, part of my project I am required to measure the current using ACS712 current sensor. 

I am having some difficulty to calibrate the sensor to read the current as the current is being measured on the multimeter. I will be grateful to get some help

@johnsold wrote:

I have used similar devices from Allegro and they work fine.

The output voltage with no current will be half the supply voltage to the sensor and will change from there as the current varies.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(2,754 Views)

Hi Mputu,

I am having some difficulty to calibrate the sensor to read the current as the current is being measured on the multimeter. I will be grateful to get some help

It would be so much easier to help when you would explain the problem you have!

And even more easier, when you would attach your current state of VI…

Are you working with Milon?

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(2,742 Views)

Good-day, 

Thank  you for your feedback. unfortunately I am not working with Milon.
The below is my calibration but the value keep changing, i have no idea why it changing.
I am measuring a constant DC current 
image.png
image.png
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(2,729 Views)

Hi Mp06 aka Mputu,

unfortunately you only wrote "image.png" twice, but didn't attached ir inlined any image…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(2,725 Views)