From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

low performance on 2d array operation

Solved!
Go to solution

Also note that you have of course 8 surrounding pixels, not just 4.

You also need to possibly correct for edge effect if indexing outside the valid data area.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(973 Views)

Images I'm looking at in my experiment occupy roughtly 1/3 of the sensor area, in the center, and features are usually about 6*6 pixels large, so using 4 or 8 surrounding pixels won't make a huge difference. Another camera I use has this filter interagrated and it uses 4 pixels, so for the sake of consistency I'm probably going to use only 4.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(968 Views)

I am not sure if it was suggested before in the posts, but for such image processing tasks a video card is a very good candidate.

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/210829

Depending on the 2D array size, you can get nice performance increase.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(949 Views)

@MF0088 wrote:

Indeed the operation is done in 2-3 seconds on my desktop computer using shift registers.

Thanks for you help here.

I know the code is abolutely not optimized regarding boundary conditions, if 2 adjacent pixels are deffective and number of times I call Increment or Decrement, but it was a rapid VI I made on a test file that could not fail these tests. I will work on that but I know how do it it.

For what it's worth, here is what I have now, as a working solution.

If you do the Filter comparison in the inner loop you don't need to create a 2D-array, which should be slightly better. You can also change the Quotient&Remainder to a Bitshift 2 right (same as divide by 4) for some speed optimization.

Also, do one +1/-1 and split the wire. It's not many clock cycles difference, but out of principle. 🙂

The Indes array don't need the 0- and 1-indexators, it's the default.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(945 Views)