cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

indicator not showing array

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am currently developing a machine at work using LabView 2011. Basically it is a gas cycling machine. I sense the output pressure and cycle the valve state. But I have one problem, at the beginning I'm initializing an array of 10 elements with '1' in each one of the elements. After that, the array goes to a producer/consumer code. The problem I have is that I put an indicator to the array before the loop, and when I run the VI the indicator shows and empty and grayed array (like if the indicator was never used), I also put a probe to the wire and there it does shows the array. Also if I connect the indicator inside the loop, the indicator shows the array. So why the indicator just after creating the array isn't showing? In the image below there is a part of the code, array 1 does not shows nothing in the indicator, while array 2 does shows it.

array problem.JPG  arrays.JPG

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(2,836 Views)

This is really unusual behavior.  two possibilities.

1 you actually have two indicators named array 1 and you are looking at the wrong array.  (run the vi anaizer and see if you have terminal with the same name)

2 there is an insane object somewhere.  (recreate your vi)

{edit}

Whoops - looking again - your bd shows "array 1" and the fp shows "Array 1"  you are looking at the wrong indicator!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(2,835 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Whoops - looking again - your bd shows "array 1" and the fp shows "Array 1"  you are looking at the wrong indicator!

Good catch Jeff. Smiley Wink

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
Message 3 of 16
(2,827 Views)

Thanks for answering Jeff, but that array 1 is just the caption, Array 1 is the name for both. 

+++1 you actually have two indicators named array 1 and you are looking at the wrong array.  (run the vi anaizer and see if you have terminal with the same name)

I already checked this and it is just the indicator and they have the same name.

+++2 there is an insane object somewhere.  (recreate your vi)

What do you mean with "insane object?"

Thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(2,820 Views)

@rugebiker wrote:.

+++2 there is an insane object somewhere.  (recreate your vi)

What do you mean with "insane object?"

Thanks Smiley Happy

its a very rare condition but it does happen- usually on vis that have become very large and highly edited.  A bit flipped somewhere and somethig bad happened to corrupt the code.   Darren pointed out a bit about them (and a few links to special methods that sometimes find them) here

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(2,813 Views)

As a shot in the dark, I have seen some funny behavior when LV tries to fold code, and that initialize array function looks like a prime candidate for folding.  You can try a couple of things, change one of the constants wired to the Initialize Array to a control, or try putting an Always Copy primitive in between the Initialize Array and your first indicator (that is often a good band-aid for these head scratchers).

Message 6 of 16
(2,811 Views)

@Darin.K wrote:

As a shot in the dark, I have seen some funny behavior when LV tries to fold code, and that initialize array function looks like a prime candidate for folding.  You can try a couple of things, change one of the constants wired to the Initialize Array to a control, or try putting an Always Copy primitive in between the Initialize Array and your first indicator (that is often a good band-aid for these head scratchers).

Nice thought.  the init will be folded.  If the allawys copy works.  Please strip down the code or zip it with all of its sub-vis so we canexplore the bug in the compiler you just found.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(2,807 Views)

@Darin.K wrote:

I tried both solutions, but none of them worked =/

I also found something interesting: if I add a breakpoint to the wire before between the array and the first array indicator, when I run the program the indicator shows everything in 1, like it is suppose to be, but if I unpause the VI, then the indicator becomes gray and with 0 again. =/

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(2,794 Views)

Any locals, or other use of that indicator?  I say post the simplest version of the code which shows the problem.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(2,791 Views)

Darin.k said:

Any locals, or other use of that indicator?  I say post the simplest version of the code which shows the problem.

I'm not using locals or other use of that indicator. It just used there. I cannot upload the code because it is forbidden here where I work, sorry.

Message 10 of 16
(2,788 Views)