LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hdlc

I need some sample cod for reading and transmitting HDLC code to labview as a any type of variable whether it be string, hex, binary, serial

if anyone cold help it would be much appriciated

thanks

Harold Timmis
htimmis@fit.edu
Orlando,Fl
*Kudos always welcome:)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(4,366 Views)

I can't share any of the code I have developed to do this and even if I did share what I have, if you aren't using the same hardware, it would not work.

So let's start with that, "what hardware are you going to use?" With the right protocol converter you don't have to worry about HDLC, it will take care of all of the packets, bit-stuffing and addressing.

That's all I can say for now, take care,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(4,361 Views)
it is going to be all sorts of data types so what hardware would you Recommend ?
Harold Timmis
htimmis@fit.edu
Orlando,Fl
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(4,359 Views)

Last time I looked Black Box had a HDLC to serial converter. I hade to use another route because I was running at 1.2 Mb and it was not fast enough.

I used an ESCC-PCI from Comm-Tech some years ago. Their support was excellent and that widget let me get at the raw packets which was useful in my app.

Since then, the FPGA should be able to keep up, but I would have to code that from ground zero.

I believe Dennis also has some experience with HDLC*, so you may want to standby and see if he has any more current recomendations.

Take care,

Ben

* HDLC is an old protocol developed by IBM prior to Ethernet. Only large mainframe shops and the military made use of HDLC and its sister SDLC.

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(4,352 Views)
can I program the ESCC-PCI in LabVIEW?
Harold Timmis
htimmis@fit.edu
Orlando,Fl
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(4,346 Views)

Harold Timmis wrote:
can I program the ESCC-PCI in LabVIEW?

When I did it, CommTech did not know about LV. I made calls into their dll to do what I needed.

[Edit]

Second thought!

You work for GE Transportation. Do you have any connection with GE in Erie PA? I did some consulting with them, and they may have been using HDLC in their work.

Still just trying to help,

Ben

Message Edited by Ben on 12-18-2008 10:57 AM
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(4,336 Views)
so you can use labview if you know how to manipulate the dll?
Harold Timmis
htimmis@fit.edu
Orlando,Fl
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(4,332 Views)

Harold Timmis wrote:
so you can use labview if you know how to manipulate the dll?

Yes sir!

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(4,326 Views)

my next question my seem Sequential:

how do i manipulate the dll?

Harold Timmis
htimmis@fit.edu
Orlando,Fl
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(4,322 Views)

Harold Timmis wrote:

my next question my seem Sequential:

how do i manipulate the dll?

I read "Manipulate" as change. That requires working with the original source code.

I'm guessing you wanted to ask "use".

That is another question and I invite you start another thread for that Q since peolpe that know dll calls may not wander down into a thread with a title of HDLC. BUt to get you started; 

See this Tag for a list of dll realted discusions.

Don't stop there but also do a search on dll, ther are a lot of threads and some KB article devloted to this subject.

Rolf Kalbermatter has answered a lot of question on using dll's over the years. Searching through his posting should help you get going.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(4,317 Views)