From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

droping down menu pauses program at open ref.

in my program i am opening the reference of a VI, but on front panel if menu is dropped down then code pauses at the location. is there any solution for this problem
please see the attachment for more details
extract the code and run it
drop down the menu (And keep it dropped down, dont select the item)
you will find that the code pauses in the open ref case. as soon as you select any item or click outside menu application resumes.
is this a bug? is there any work around available

Tushar Jambhekar
tushar@jambhekar.com

Jambhekar Automation Solutions
LabVIEW Consultancy, LabVIEW Training
Rent a LabVIEW Developer, My Blog

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,525 Views)

Hi Tushar,

This is expected behavior. Both the Open VI Reference and the menus are handled by LabVIEW's root loop. The root loop can handle only one item at a time. Open VI Reference by path requires root loop. If you open a menu, the rootloop is unavailable so the Open VI Reference will block. You can workaround the problem by not opening a Reference by path inside the loop. Either open the reference once outside the loop and use that reference or use Open VI Reference by name instead (which requires the VI to be in memory).

Hope this helps!

Message Edited by Kalin T on 04-06-2007 03:40 PM

Kalin T.
Message 2 of 5
(3,515 Views)

Thanks Kalin

Open Ref Problem is solved. but now same problemis coming when i try to run the VI. please find attached example code

is there any work around

Tushar Jambhekar
tushar@jambhekar.com

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,486 Views)
Hi Tushar,

It seems to be working fine. What are you expecting from this code? Also, if you turn on highlight execution, that will help you determine where the problem is.
Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,467 Views)

let me brief what exactly the problem is and where we are facing a problem.

our application is a test application in which end user writes a script for testing UUT as per his needs. for every command in the script there is accompanying VI which is invoked to run that command.

now this list of commands is ever expanding as the product takes more and more features, so we want a plugin type architecture. where if we design a VI and put it in perticular folder, a new command is made available for scripting.

an we have been successful in doing so. everything works fine in normal situation, but we found one bug.

now lets say one script is executing and during that time if end user drops down menu(and keeps it hanging down instead of selecting any item) then the execution of script pauses.

after tracing down we found out that the open Ref VI doesnt runs (but pauses) in perticular situation. we posted the query and we got the reply above. now Open ref VI is not pausing (as we are opening ref by name) but when we try to run the VI using invoke node the invoke node for Run VI Pauses.

how can we tackle this problem?

as such there is no error being generated, but we want to eliminate this pausing.

Tushar Jambhekar
tushar@jambhekar.com

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,452 Views)