From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

compare and extract number from string

Hi, all

If I want to compare a requirement number and extract a number form a continuous data, . for example,

the string like this ( ******** 123 ******
                               *********456 ******
                               *********789*******)

and I have requiremnts that I need to extract the number is nearest greater 450, so in the above example, I need to pick 456.

How can I result it?

thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(3,683 Views)
here is one way to do it.

Paul
Message 2 of 18
(3,666 Views)

Thanks Pana

I nearly understand the method to solve the problem. But I am quite new in labview and I don't know some of the function you draw in jpg. Can you upload the Vi and have a look.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(3,656 Views)
Just extract all numbers into an array, then find the element with the smallest absolute difference. See attached (LabVIEW 7.0).

EDIT: Sorry, If by "Nearest greater" you mean the next higher number, you can use something like in my example II. (Also LabVIEW 7.0).

If you don't recognize an node, just right-click on it and select help. 🙂

You still need to add proper execption handling, e.g.:

• What if no element is greater?
  • What if there are multiple solutions?
  • What if the string does not contain any numbers?

Message Edited by altenbach on 10-13-2005 09:05 AM

Download All
Message 4 of 18
(3,649 Views)
The above example II matched "Nearest greater OR equal". If you want the next higher element if an element is equal to the comparison number, you an make a small modification as shown.
Message 5 of 18
(3,628 Views)
Thanks a lot and I can find the answer .

and I have another questions, still like this

I have a string for example( *****123**** (some number-such as 0.01%)****
                                             *****456**** (some number-such as 0.02%)****
                                             *****789**** (some number-such as 0.03%)****

I still need to extract 456, but i also need to extract the 0.02%, (the number follow the 456), I have a idea, but maybe too complicated.

I just though when i got the 456, and match it with the original string and then extract the following number. but i am not quite sure how to do it?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(3,617 Views)

Before people jump into solving this problem, do you have any other surprises hidden in this string that will need to be evaluated?  Is the number with the % ALWAYS there or sometimes?  These things definitely affect the approach to the problem!  Are there a fixed number of * between the two numbers?  Can you post an example of a complete dataset that would be in this string?

Message Edited by Pana-man on 10-13-2005 03:42 PM

Paul
Message 7 of 18
(3,611 Views)
I agree with Paul,  we need more info on the string structure:
  • Is each pair on a seperate line?
Message 8 of 18
(3,600 Views)

Thanks

Please see the attach JPG file. IF I want to extract the number in the first red square and pick the second red square number which includs the %.

how to do it?

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(3,588 Views)

srt,

Looking at what you have posted it is still a little unclear as to what you actually need.

Are you extracting that number for any reason? (say nearest to a certain number?)

If you send in an actual text file with that dataset on I will try and create an example code for you to try out but I also need to know what number you need to extract and why.

Many Thanx

AdamB

National Instruments UK

Applications Engineering Team Leader | National Instruments | UK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(3,568 Views)