From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

color interpolation

Hi everyone,

i want to do the color interpolation on a surface in the first round i do the interpolation with using the Color array in the scene mesh, every thing works fine. The problem starts when i want to pick a point on the surface and based on the new picked point do the color interpolation. So all the vertices's on the meshed surface get interpolation based on the value of new picked point. I found the 3D sensor mapping the problem is that i need to feed in a STL file and what i have is a point cloud, i can make a STL file out of it, but i need to update the coordination after each scans, and it can not be done with using STL, so the input of this express VI should be changed which is itself would be hard.

Any suggestion would be so appreciated.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,933 Views)

I am sorry but I did not follow what the issue is exactly.

I did look at the NI version and promptly tossed after seeing it load 1000 sub-VI and rewrote it myself using first principles which is probably not an option for you but, if you slow down and explain what you need help with (images will help a lot) we may be able to advise.

That's all I can say now,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,921 Views)

Here is a little vi that does color interpolation. I am not sure if this will help but it could be a start.

Tim
GHSP
Message 3 of 11
(4,914 Views)
I can not open it, because it is in a newer version than mein, can you please save it in older version?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,911 Views)

Here you go.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,903 Views)

Let me try to formulate my problem again. We start with a surface composed of triangles. To each vertice a color has been assigned.

1. I want to choose an arbitrary point on this surface and assign a color to it ( in the attached picture shown by green color) .

2. The color should be interpolated with all vertices. So the interpolation shouldnt be just done for one triangle, but the interpolation should affect the entire surface.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,900 Views)

Hi Trin,

to get your problem straight:

1) You do have colors assigned to the vertices of a surface made up by triangles

2) You want to interpolate the color of an arbitrarily chosen point based on the colors of all available vertices

To do the interpolation based on all available vertices you have to weight the colors of the vertices based on the distance (i.e., euclidean distance) from the arbitrarily chosen point. Also consider the idea of bilinear interpolation.

Regards,

Benjamin

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,847 Views)

Hi Trin,

it would furthermore be interesting how you represent your data in LV. Depending on your representation it could be possbile to use the "Mathmatics - Interpolation & Extrapolation - Interpolate 2D" function to solve your problem.

Regards,

Benjamin

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,837 Views)
Hi Benjamin, thanks for replying, i guess what i need is the trilinear color interpolation since am working in 3D picture control. Well, still i didn't get any result out of color interpolation but trying to understand how they have done this in 3d sensor mapping. we ll see if it is going to work, still any idea or sample would be appreciated alot.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,831 Views)

Hi Trin,

you really should try to break your problem into pieces. Do you want advise on your 2D surface interpolation task or on interpolation in 3D point spaces?

Better approach a single question at a time than try to solve everything at once.

Regards,

Benjamin

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,824 Views)