LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW and git

Solved!
Go to solution

On NI community there are some resources related to the usage of git for LabVIEW projects.

Some of them are old (some years ago), for others it's not clear if they works or not and so at the moment I can't find a working way.

I use several releases of LabVIEW on my Windows 7 64 bit PC.

I followed this, but I can't find a way to setup diff and merge tools; LabVIewGitEnv doesn't work because LVInit.sh gives errors

handle_options: command not found
update_attributes: command not found
do_git_config: command not found

Since nowadays git has become a standard tool, could someone provide an updated and working step-by-step document on how to have LabVIEW working with git?

Vix
-------------------------------------------
In claris non fit interpretatio

Using LV from 7
Using LW/CVI from 6.0
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(30,128 Views)

Working with Git with LabVIEW is not different from working with another source code control, as far as I am concerned.

You can find a nice video produced by Delacor on how to use Git with LabVIEW at: www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVRKQCDeDjc

Marc Dubois
Message 2 of 15
(30,076 Views)

Working with Git with LabVIEW is not different from working with another source code control, as far as I am concerned.

You can find a nice video produced by Delacor on how to use Git with LabVIEW at: www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVRKQCDeDjc

Marc Dubois
Message 3 of 15
(30,075 Views)

The problem is not working with LabVIEW; it's really difficult to setup git so that it can call the diff (LVCompare.exe) and merge (LVMerge.exe) tools of LabVIEW.

First of all I followed the instructions in the document Getting Started: Git and GitHub setup but I get errors while trying to configure LabViewGitEnv.

Then I found the community Git User Group which suggests a different approach. I'm going to follow this and see if this works.

Vix

Using LV from 7
Using LW/CVI from 6.0
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(30,034 Views)

Hello Marc,

I've just looked at the Delacor video, but it only shows the usage of git commands commit, push, pull and checkout. This is a basic usage of git since it works only if the different developers modify different source files.

It doesn't use merge and compare which are necessary in a real usage of a source control system.

As I wrote, the problem with LabVIEW is to have LVCompare and LVMerge working, invoked by git

Vix

Using LV from 7
Using LW/CVI from 6.0
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(30,029 Views)

I use TortoiseGit, in which you can set the Merge and Diff tool to use in the GUI. Once there was a conflict in my files and it brought up the LVDiff tool.

(30,027 Views)

@jeanlucpicard: I use TortoiseGit too.

Could you write how did you configure it to call the Merge and Diff tool?

Did you have to install some other tools (LabViewGitEnv, VIKit, vicompare, or others)?

Vix

Using LV from 7
Using LW/CVI from 6.0
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(30,025 Views)

https://lavag.org/topic/17934-configuring-git-to-work-with-lvcompare-and-lvmerge/

[difftool "sourcetree"]
  cmd = ''C:/Users/Paul/AppData/Local/Programs/Git/bin/_LVCompareWrapper.sh'' "$REMOTE" "$LOCAL"

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 8 of 15
(30,011 Views)

TortoiseGit Settings has a menu item called Diff Viewer and Merge tool, there you can browse LVDiff and LVMerge

(30,007 Views)

With TortoiseGIT is should work with:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Compare\LVCompare.exe" %mine %base -nobdcosm -nobdpos

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/254737/sourcetree-external-diff-path-issue-on-windows

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 10 of 15
(30,005 Views)