From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What factors can cause a Proj file to open Dirty (LV 2009) ?

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a project that was previously developed in LV 8.5.

When opening it in LV 2009, it opens dirty (asterick indicating something has changed).

Save All THis Project clears the asterisk.

Close and re-open the project again opens dirty.

Closing without saving gives the message "Save Changes" and

List unsaved changes... shows the project itself is what wants to be saved and the "Changes" only says "An attribute of the project was changed."

So....

What could I be doing wrong that is causing the proj to open dirty?

Curious,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 45
(4,132 Views)
I have the same issue. My project was primarily developed in LV 8.6. If I open it with LV 9.0, open the main VI and then close it without even running it, I get the same message that "an attribute of the project was changed" with a promt to save changes.
Message Edited by Giedrius.S on 02-11-2010 09:17 PM
---

While evaluating my code please have in mind that I am a LV novice. Therefore sometimes my code might violate some coding rules that I have to learn about myself. But how else could I do that... 🙂

Chart zoom with "Mouse Over" effect
Message 2 of 45
(4,120 Views)

I see this all the time on LV861 and 2009.

Always assumed it was a date being saved somewhere within the project, but taking a look inside the lvproj file shows nothing that should be date/time dependent... weird..

Message 3 of 45
(4,114 Views)

Note that the asterisk appears after you close the VI, not after you load it.

I have tried to disable automatic revision history updates,  "clear indicators when called" and "auto handle menus at launch" options. But this haven't helped.

---

While evaluating my code please have in mind that I am a LV novice. Therefore sometimes my code might violate some coding rules that I have to learn about myself. But how else could I do that... 🙂

Chart zoom with "Mouse Over" effect
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 45
(4,108 Views)

Giedrius.S wrote:

Note that the asterisk appears after you close the VI, not after you load it.

I have tried to disable automatic revision history updates,  "clear indicators when called" and "auto handle menus at launch" options. But this haven't helped.

That maybe a different situation than mine. I do not have to touch any VIs. Just opening the proj is enough. I know there was an iusse with XControls trigger the need to change if their owning VI was opened. I think threre is a ? color bar ? from the sund and vibration tool kit that is an XControl that had the same effect as my custom XContols but....

I am specificlly asking about the "proj" file.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 45
(4,105 Views)

I see this all the time as well.  Early posts about this topic always seemed to associate it with starting the project in an older version of LV.  But it happens all the time now with a project I started a few weeks ago fresh in LV2009.  Or, I may be mistaken, but I thought I saw something mentioned about auto-populating folders.  But I'm not using them.

It is really annoying.  If LV know that an attribute of the project was changed, then why can't it tell us which attribute was changed?  I wish NI would give a good explanation as to what is causing it, and hopefully clean it up in future versions of LV.

Message 6 of 45
(4,082 Views)

If something actually changed in the project, I assume you should be able to see it if you open the .lvproj file and look at the XML. Most SCC programs have a tool which allows easy diffing of text files, so you don't even need to look through the file.

I do have a vague recollection of something about the project changing the order of items in the list, but that might be related to the auto-pop. folders already mentioned (and which I don't use either).

With time i have not, I would be curious to know what happens when you save for previous in this situation.

- You have your original code in LV8.x

- You open and save it in LV2009

- You save for previous your 2009 distribution as LV8.x version

- You compare this new hierarchy with the original LV8.x and perhaps, you will locate what technologies change and are reformatted/recompiled...

Message 8 of 45
(4,060 Views)

Back-saving that project may not be possible.

I have a new project started in LV 2009 that uses LVOOP but it does not open dirty.

Auto-population of folders is always shut-off on my machine so it not that.

No XControls.

So all of the "known" issue are not to blame. I have NI looking at my project under SR# 1486599.

Still interested in hearing other ideas or others that are seeing the same thing.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 45
(4,046 Views)

In fact, I must be blind because I work on a project started nearly 2 years ago, started in LV8.2 and now in LV8.5.1 and I see only now (by your question) that each time I load my project I have an asterick as you.

None VI are marked as asterix, only the project.

As information, I don't use advanced technologies as : DAQmx, aliases, special project property, internal source code control and others...

I used :

- Dynamic calls

- VISA

- lvanlys.dll

- version.dll

- kernel32.dll

- User32.dll

- Advapi32.dll

- 1 Source distribution build specifications

- 1 main exe build specifications

- 1 secondary exe build specifications

- 1 installer specifications

With others little brothers and sisters of this top application, I use SVN as SCC and everytime I load projects, SVN detects changes on *.aliases... 😞

Message 10 of 45
(4,038 Views)