From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Service HTTP Host Image

Hello Fellow LabVIEW Enthusiasts!

I am trying to host images on a Web Service through LabVIEW. My goal is to be able to change the images programmatically. I attached the project (zipped). When I try to "Publish" the service, it says that the "new picture" in HTTP_Picture is unsupported data type. I couldn't find any examples on this topic.

Also, I tried the NI Web Publishing Tool... this tool works great on Windows machines, however, I cannot load the images on my Android device, the plugin is unsupported. This is the reason I moved to the HTTP Web Services route. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Nick

CLD Certified 2014
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,532 Views)

Hello Nick,

It looks like you folled the procedure outlined under heading 15 of this document: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/7747/en/#toc15

Before I get to heavily involved in this I am curious if the images will all be available at build time or if you want to make new images available on the web that were not available at build time.  I think I would take different aproaches in the two scenerios.  

- John

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(4,466 Views)

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply. I did follow many of the tutorials including the steps in the link that you referenced.

All of the pictures are known at build time. I am wondering if it is possible to have the HTML file of the web publishing tool accept LabVIEW commands to change pictures. I am still looking into other options, like you said there are many approaches possible to take. If I could find one that I know would work for my application, I would be able to focus and learn how to achomplish the task.

CLD Certified 2014
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(4,458 Views)

Nick,

I think you will have to do some sort of scripting.  Since you know all the images a build time I suggest you add them all as static images.  You can then use ESP or JAVA to change which static images (web pages) are visible.  

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/7738/en/

are your images going to change when the user clicks on something? or will they change when some event happens on the host?  

- John

Message 4 of 13
(4,429 Views)

I want LabVIEW to change which image is displayed on the webpage.

CLD Certified 2014
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,425 Views)

So you want something server side to change the image visible.  correct me if that is wrong.

What I imagine at this point is a a bunch of static pages that are all images.  Your startup VI can determine which image is available at any time.  Client side I think you will write some script that asks the page to update every minute or so.  

As I understand it now there will be no user interactionw with the page.  The user will be purely a consumer.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,418 Views)

Correct. I need a Java script (from an Android App) to change the visible image, however, it would be nicer if it were dynamic. I could then overlay text on the images.

CLD Certified 2014
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,414 Views)

I beleive some HTTP request needs to be made of the server in order to update the image. 

Are the images always shown in the same sequence?  

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(4,387 Views)

Yes, the pictures should be updated in a certain order. I am thinking that I need to send HTTP requests from the server to the client, the client will then refresh the page. Does this make sense or is there a better option?

CLD Certified 2014
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,366 Views)

Could you try using a gif?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,344 Views)