From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA write timing

I have a VISA write in a state machine, and the write was a bit slow.  It was taken out of the machine and placed in a seperate VI for timing analysis.  Affter the VISA write was placed in a different VI, the write duration decreased by 1s.  What reasons could have caused it?  Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos and Accepted as Solution are welcome!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,846 Views)
Not enough information. What sort of physical connection? How many bytes being written? How did you determine the write was the problem? Where's your code?
Message 2 of 8
(2,835 Views)
...and what is the device at the other end of the wire with which you are communicating?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 3 of 8
(2,802 Views)

The instrument is a precise DMM that connects to a GPIB module in a PXI chassis connected to a laptop through an express card.  The command written to the DMM is a string with about 10 characters.  We use a flat sequence structure with the tick node and the 1st and 3rd frame to time the performance of the write node in the 2nd frame.  I don't have the code.  Somebody else is working on it now, but I was pull in to have my brain picked (the NI forum as well).  I am just looking for general advise.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,781 Views)

Refer to my previous post.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,779 Views)
Well I'm not going to even try to guess. The fact that someone is working on the program seems a poor excuse. Surely you can pull a copy from source code control.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,774 Views)

You need to bring the patient in to get a diagosis.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,759 Views)

ok.  never mind.  He didn't check it into source control.  It is on his PC.  I will let him figure it out or ask it on the forum himself.  Thanks!  

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,718 Views)