From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer 1-d array using DMA FIFO from FPGA

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to transfer a 1-D array of two U32, using a U32 configured FIFO to the host,

but I get error due to connecting to different terminal types,

It looks very simple, I've found many samples around here with very similar treatment, but I can't see the problem?!

Unbenannt.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,603 Views)

The data type of an FPGA FIFO can't be an array, it must be scalar. In your case it's a U32.

And you can only write one element to a FIFO per Write operation. So you'll have to write the data to the FIFO element by element.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(6,588 Views)

But in this example:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-6303

I think FIFO is passing an array, right?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,584 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ecksor

There's a for loop indexing the array... So the write operation is element by element.

The read operation (on the host) can read several elements at a time (--> an array).

Message 4 of 8
(6,579 Views)

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,574 Views)

Thanks for your response.

But it leads to another question,

How can I transfer several channels in this situation on a Single-Cycle Timed Loop?

I am using Timed Loop because I need to read digital data at high speed up to 40MHz, and because of limits in number of DMAs I need to pass several channels by one FIFO.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(6,556 Views)

It's quite simple: send one channel per iteration. If you need the sampling of all channels to be synchronous you'll have to store the values in a shift register to send it later.

In the screenshot you posted you could change the code like this (looks like you're using counter values from 1-32):

- when the counter reaches 32, write the data of ch1 to the FIFO and store the value of ch2 into a shift register

- when the counter is at value 1 write the value of ch2 (which was stored in the shift register) to the FIFO

- in all other cases just increase the counter

Message 7 of 8
(6,550 Views)

Thanks again, for your great help.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(6,547 Views)