From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temperature against time

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, I'm working on measuring temperature against time in labview (of a thermistor). The data comes in as voltage and gets converted to temperature in the subvi. I'm not sure whether I should be using a waveform or XY graph for this. I've attached the block diagram and subvi.

Thanks!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,282 Views)

Hi ehalpin,

I'm not sure whether I should be using a waveform or XY graph for this.

You should be sure about your requirements!

So what exactly do you want to display?

Waveform graphs are perfect for evenly-sampled data (fixed dt), while XY graphs are nice for data with random X coordinates. (You might also use waveform graphs for non-evenly spaced data when using the waveform datatype…)

Why do you need 2 local variables just to display data in the waveform graph?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,255 Views)

Hi, thanks for the reply. I need to log a change in temperature over time so the waveform seems like the best option then! 

Local variables were left over from something else I had tried out. Would it be better to just remove those?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,252 Views)
Solution
Accepted by ehalpin13

@ehalpin13 wrote:

Local variables were left over from something else I had tried out. Would it be better to just remove those?

YES!

@ehalpin13 wrote:

Hi, thanks for the reply. I need to log a change in temperature over time so the waveform seems like the best option then!

You might want to consider moving the DAQ reading/logging into a parallel loop so it is constantly running and gathering data.  You could change your graph into a chart then and make things simpler.  You should also make sure your DAQ is set to be continuously running at a set rate (DAQmx Timing VI).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,247 Views)

If you're looking to add a data points to "waveform" over time, it sounds like job for a Chart.  

There's an article here on the difference between Graphs and Charts in LabVIEW. 

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,242 Views)

I use X-Y charts 99% of the time even though they are a bit more cumbersome, I like having complete control over how the data is presented. 

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,224 Views)