LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temperature against time

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, I'm working on measuring temperature against time in labview (of a thermistor). The data comes in as voltage and gets converted to temperature in the subvi. I'm not sure whether I should be using a waveform or XY graph for this. I've attached the block diagram and subvi.

Thanks!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,258 Views)

Hi ehalpin,

I'm not sure whether I should be using a waveform or XY graph for this.

You should be sure about your requirements!

So what exactly do you want to display?

Waveform graphs are perfect for evenly-sampled data (fixed dt), while XY graphs are nice for data with random X coordinates. (You might also use waveform graphs for non-evenly spaced data when using the waveform datatype…)

Why do you need 2 local variables just to display data in the waveform graph?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,231 Views)

Hi, thanks for the reply. I need to log a change in temperature over time so the waveform seems like the best option then! 

Local variables were left over from something else I had tried out. Would it be better to just remove those?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,228 Views)
Solution
Accepted by ehalpin13

@ehalpin13 wrote:

Local variables were left over from something else I had tried out. Would it be better to just remove those?

YES!

@ehalpin13 wrote:

Hi, thanks for the reply. I need to log a change in temperature over time so the waveform seems like the best option then!

You might want to consider moving the DAQ reading/logging into a parallel loop so it is constantly running and gathering data.  You could change your graph into a chart then and make things simpler.  You should also make sure your DAQ is set to be continuously running at a set rate (DAQmx Timing VI).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,223 Views)

If you're looking to add a data points to "waveform" over time, it sounds like job for a Chart.  

There's an article here on the difference between Graphs and Charts in LabVIEW. 

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,218 Views)

I use X-Y charts 99% of the time even though they are a bit more cumbersome, I like having complete control over how the data is presented. 

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,200 Views)