From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

String to timestamp

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I've been searching for a while now and still don't have an answer.

I try to convert from a string to a timestamp value.

I can't find the correct expression to retrieve the seconds and miliseconds.

I have tried %S,%u or even %3u. still not work.

Any idea.

String to timestamp.png

NTA_LabView_certified_Developper.jpg
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(7,306 Views)

I just played around a bit and changed the comma separator between your seconds and fractional seconds to a point instead of a comma, then used the following format string:

%<%y-%m-%d %H.%M.%S%3u>T

Note I did not specify a separator between the %s and %3u. I scanned the 172 ms portion successfully.

I saved the vi and exited LabVIEW, then configured my regional settings for France. I opened the same VI and the scan string failed for the decimal point but worked when I reverted the string to your original ',' separator between the whole and fractional seconds.

I'm guessing that LabVIEW is using your localization settings to determine the <%<digits>u> portion and that your settings in your OS are for a decimal separator of "."

Yet another example of LabVIEW's quirks with respect to dealing with locale. Smiley Sad

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(7,292 Views)
Solution
Accepted by toto26

Hello,

try the format string (no quotes) "%<%y-%m-%d %H.%M.%S.%3u>T".

In your example, you had an "%" too many behind the "M", also I replaced the comma with another period.

Greetings! 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(7,291 Views)

Hi there toto,

try dropping the comma-symbol between the seconds and milliseconds and it should be fine. (%<%y-%m-%d %H.%M.%S%3u>T).

Cheers,

Cerati

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(7,290 Views)

Hi

Thank to all of you.

Unfortunately, it's not so easy. I use the French regional settings, so the separator is a coma, I don't have the choice (the string come from a filename)

I've already tried to change the coma with a dot, it has no effect on the result.

In fact, the following works, but as you can notice, it's impossible to use : in a filename.

String to timestamp2.png

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(7,265 Views)

The Scan from String function has an optional setting to set Localization Codes.

The Scan time stamp appears to ignore this setting when evaluating the %<digits>u fractional portion of a timestamp and always uses the OS locale settings. Tested in LabVIEW 8.6 and 2010

I would consider this is a bug.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(7,259 Views)

Thank you wimba,

I did not noticed that I had too many %

It works

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(7,254 Views)

The inability to use a colon ":" in a filename is normally an OS limitation. We typically use a space or underscore when naming a file that contains a date and time within the filename itself.

example:

DNX1U FVT[FC52055531][2012 12 19][13 12 40][P].xml

The brackets are used to identify the logical parts of the name TEST[SERIAL NUMBER][DATE][TIME][PASS or FAIL]

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(7,250 Views)

You are correct that there is a bug with the conversion of string values to timestamps in reference to the localization code. R&D is aware of this issue as stated in this forum post: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Can-t-change-decimal-sign-in-timestamp-BUG/m-p/647863  and a Corrective Action Request (CAR) has been filed. The number for that CAR is  45360. The Developers intend to correct this issue and it will be implemented in a future major revision of LabVIEW.

Larry H.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(7,220 Views)