LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting around excel spreadsheet limit

Solved!
Go to solution

The older versions of Microsoft Excel have a limit of about 65,000 rows in a single spreadsheet.  I am writing a program that is going to sit and take data all day long and it runs the risk of hitting that limit, so I am trying to design a way around it.

The idea behind the workaround was that it would take data normally until it has saved 65,000 data points, at which case it alters the file name with the "Build Path" function and continues on its way.  You can see the process in the attached image.

I keep getting the same error message, however, that says "Error 7 occurred at Open/Create/Replace File in Write Spreadsheet String.vi-> Write to spreadsheet File (DBL).vi->EMI Keithey Read.vi" with a possible reasons: LabVIEW: File not found.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,357 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LarsUlrich

You are not creating Excel spreadsheets. You are creating text files. So why are you worried about the 65,000 row limit?

As for your code, you are not creating the path properly. Did you put a probe on the output of the Build Path function? If you did you'd see the problem. You're turning the filename into a directory. I think your intention was to create an additional file with " extended" added to the name. In this case you'd have to use Strip Path to get the name of the file, change it, and then use Build Path to rebuild the path. Also, you are initially writing to the original filename.

Message 2 of 3
(2,350 Views)

Thanks! That did the trick.

I need the 2 files because athough it creates a text file, we are going to be viewing it in excel, so I would rather just save the trouble of taking the data and splitting it into 2 files after the fact and just letting the program do it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,343 Views)