From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending Voltage Signal from FPGA

I want to send a TTL voltage signal from LabVIEW FPGA (NI 7856R Series) to a laser shutter and flipper to control them. How can I do that with this NI FPGA Module? I was reading some articles and comments, and some were saying about setting up a digital signal that will transfer to an output signal, but wasn't very clear. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(5,764 Views)

@hussam95 wrote:

I want to send a TTL voltage signal from LabVIEW FPGA (NI 7856R Series) to a laser shutter and flipper to control them. How can I do that with this NI FPGA Module? I was reading some articles and comments, and some were saying about setting up a digital signal that will transfer to an output signal, but wasn't very clear. 

How to you communicate to the shutter and flipper? Are the also TTL? Or serial? Or GPIB?, USB, TCP\IP? That is kind of critical...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(5,713 Views)

They are TTL Pulses. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(5,702 Views)

So make a loop that gets the input, do some logic and sets he outputs.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(5,694 Views)

BTW, the DIO-lines of a 7856R-card use LVTTL levels, i.e. high is 3.3 V, not 5 V as in TTL. So you either have to use an analog-out for a 5V signal or you have to look for some additional hardware that can convert the LVTTL to a TTL level.

Regards, Jens

Kudos are welcome...
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(5,683 Views)

@jg69 wrote:

BTW, the DIO-lines of a 7856R-card use LVTTL levels, i.e. high is 3.3 V, not 5 V as in TTL. So you either have to use an analog-out for a 5V signal or you have to look for some additional hardware that can convert the LVTTL to a TTL level.

Regards, Jens

TTL levels require an input above 2V for a logic high or an input below 0.8V for a logic low. Seeing that the 3.3V output of your FPGA is above the 2.0V level, a level shifter should not be required.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(5,673 Views)

@Minions wrote:

@jg69 wrote:

Regards, Jens

TTL levels require an input above 2V for a logic high or an input below 0.8V for a logic low. Seeing that the 3.3V output of your FPGA is above the 2.0V level, a level shifter should not be required.

As I see it, 5V TTL might blow the input. 3.6 is max:

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/cmos-and-lvttl-voltage-levels.62014/

Not sure if the 7856R can take more, but if it's spec'd at LVTTL, it's not required to.

Two resistors will fix that. Still inconvenient, depending on the situation...

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(5,668 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@Minions wrote:

@jg69 wrote:

Regards, Jens

Not sure if the 7856R can take more, but if it's spec'd at LVTTL, it's not required to.

This is all a non-issue as long as the FPGA is being used as an output to control the external equipment as stated in the original entry.  Smiley Tongue  If the FPGA is used for monitoring any responses or inputs, then this may change.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(5,661 Views)

@Minions wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@Minions wrote:

@jg69 wrote:

Regards, Jens

This is all a non-issue as long as the FPGA is being used as an output to control the external equipment as stated in the original entry.  Smiley Tongue  If the FPGA is used for monitoring any responses or inputs, then this may change.

In the OP In my head there is was an input.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(5,656 Views)

Thank you all for the comments. I am using the FPGA DIO line to send a signal to a shutter to open/close. I shouldn't be needing a level shifter for that one? I connected a DIO (Output) to a switch that turns on/off, but my shutter doesn't move. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(5,643 Views)