cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove Child Window from Parent using WIN API

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all,

I am using User32.dll to make a parent-child relationship between two VIs. I use SetParent function, and pass the handle of parent VI and child VI to this function. Now, after this relationship has been established, I want to remove the child window from the parent and use it as a independent VI using WIN API. Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks in advance!

Fragger Fox!

-FraggerFox!
Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified TestStand Developer
"What you think today is what you live tomorrow"
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,363 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author FraggerFox

Hi Fragger Fox,

i think it should be possible if you assign a new parent to the child. Maybe it works if you assign the desktop as new parent.

Hope it helps.

Mike

Message 2 of 5
(5,361 Views)

@MikeS81 wrote:

Hi Fragger Fox,

i think it should be possible if you assign a new parent to the child. Maybe it works if you assign the desktop as new parent.

Hope it helps.

Mike

I am thinking if that would really work. Since the child already has a parent, just giving it a handle of other parent would make it a child of other parent, in this case, the desktop? Would it automatically remove itself from its parent?

Also, how can we get the desktop handle?

Fragger Fox

-FraggerFox!
Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified TestStand Developer
"What you think today is what you live tomorrow"
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,350 Views)

Hi Fragger Fox,

from the description of the "SetParent" function, i think it will change the parent. You can get the desktop handle with the "GetDesktopWindow" function.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,346 Views)

You should be able to set a NULL handle to undo the parent-child relationship and make the child window again a normal top level window. Setting the desktop as parent is probably not the same as being a top level window.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 5 of 5
(5,330 Views)