From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading a spreadsheet file with the Read assistant - File Close Issue

I'm using the assistant to read a comma delimited spreadsheet file but it won't close the file when it is done, unless I close/stop the VI.  If I don't use the assistant the file closes fine.  I need to do this in order to open the file (not as read-only)  for other programs while the VI is running.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,891 Views)

Sorry, I am unclear what you mean by "assitant". Are you talking about the express VI?

In any case, reading a comma delimited file is pretty simple, just use the plain file I/O finctions and set the access options as desired.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,879 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, the assistant.  I'm just learning so I'm not sure how to easily use the read from spreadsheet file to create a waveform (first column is time, no headers).  The options with the assistant were perect for this.  Can I change this to the file read command without too much work?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,876 Views)

Sorry, meant yes the Express VI.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,873 Views)
can you attach a datafile with a few lines?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,867 Views)
Here is an .XLS file with 16 channels and one time column (first column is time).

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,863 Views)
Hello bsmyth,
       I recommend that you take a look at Reading Data from Excel File and Printing it on a Graph

Cheers,

NathanT
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,841 Views)