LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Putting data into a word table using LabVIEW's Report Generation Toolkit - too slow

I'm working on a project that requires generating a report in word with information pulled from a server, using a word doc template. Part of the report is a table of data with 28 columns and an unfixed number of rows.

I'm currently using the Word Insert Row-Column-Cell VI to iteratively to add the correct number of rows to the table. Then I'm using the Word Edit Cell VI to place the data into the table. The problem is it takes up to 6mins for only 60 rows of data. I've also tried the Append Table to Report VI and it seems to take a similar length of time.

Is there an faster/easier way to put mass amounts of data into a table in word?

I've attached a simplified version of my code.

(Also I accidently posted on the LabWindows/CVI Board initially: https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabWindows-CVI/Putting-data-into-a-word-table-using-LabVIEW-s-Report-Genera...)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,584 Views)

I don't know if this would apply to you, but the way my predecessor created reports was to have a subVI in which he held data (graph, table or what he needed) and displayed it on the front panel. When creating report he then used "Append Front Panel Image to Report VI" function, which basically takes a screenshot of the subVI front panel and pastes it in the report as an image. This is also fast, i never timed it but it takes less than a second.

If you need to edit data in the table this might not work for you, but if you just need a word report and don't need to edit, it might be a solution.

---

It would also help if you posted your VI where you write this data, might just be a timing issue or something.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,539 Views)

Thanks for your reply. I have already tried this as a solution but I run into issues because the array of data can be quite long and the image taken from the front panel vi doesn't fit on one page in the Word Report. Using Word Edit Cell or Append Table to Report doesn't have the same issue since its actually putting data into a table in Word and Word will handle when a table goes across multiple pages.

I attached a simplified version of my code. I don't believe its a timing issue to do with when I get my data. The issue is the time taken to put data from an array in LabVIEW into a table in Word.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,501 Views)