From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open content-tree from chm-file (help) programmatically

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

actually I "try" to create a documentation for my software-tool with a *.chm-file (standard help-file).

I want, that the user can jump directly to the correct position in the content-tree like in the picture attached (not index-register).

First try with "Control online help.vi" doesn`t work respectively I use it in the wrong way.

So my question: is it possible with Labview to open a entry in the content-tree?

Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(1,369 Views)

If you know the URL of the item, it shouldn't be hard.

Right click on the content item, you should get a URL like:

mk:@MSITStore:E:\Projects\help\MyCHM.chm::/Topics/Main/Item.html

Of course, if you've build the chm, you would be able to predict the URLs in a more systematic way (e.g. you shouldn't have to right click to get URLs). 

If you use the Control Online Help function, wire the part after :: to the key, the path to the path, and the help should open (or jump to) with the context.

wiebeCARYA_0-1664352345689.png

Message 2 of 13
(1,345 Views)

Thanks wiebe,

I use the only simple freeware-tool I found named Helpmaker. Its not supported since years.

I found the Url´s in the CHM-file and the correct side will open. But the content-tree will not expand...Do you have an idea, how this works?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(1,327 Views)

@Tanchris wrote:

Thanks wiebe,

I use the only simple freeware-tool I found named Helpmaker. Its not supported since years.

I found the Url´s in the CHM-file and the correct side will open. But the content-tree will not expand...Do you have an idea, how this works?

It should (it does for me) when I use the function's 'Key' option...

It could be something specific to your chm file, but we'd need that file (or a mockup) to examine it.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(1,312 Views)

Thanks and thats right...

Here is the chm-file for testing...please don't wondering, I`ve tried out a lot since yesterday...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(1,299 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Of course, if you've build the chm, you would be able to predict the URLs in a more systematic way (e.g. you shouldn't have to right click to get URLs). 

If you use the Control Online Help function, wire the part after :: to the key, the path to the path, and the help should open (or jump to) with the context.

Hmm.  I don't get a URL when I right-click:

paul_cardinale_0-1664369566577.png

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(1,280 Views)

I got the Url when I press the "?" in the upper left corner und click "jump to url" (see attached file...)

As example like this: mk:@MSITStore:C:\01_Software\01_Testbench\documentation\helpTestbench\_tmphhp\helptestbench.chm::/konfigurationprüfen.html

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(1,263 Views)

This opens the DCU characteristics page (I got the URL by right clicking the page, then properties):

wiebeCARYA_0-1664374212421.png

This opens the DCU characteristics page, and selects the item in the content tree:

wiebeCARYA_1-1664374292713.png

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(1,257 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Hmm.  I don't get a URL when I right-click:

paul_cardinale_0-1664369566577.png

Me neither in this chm file...

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(1,254 Views)

Thats exact what I´m looking for...but when I start the att. vi...only the correct right page will load, not the tree...

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(1,245 Views)