cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open content-tree from chm-file (help) programmatically

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

actually I "try" to create a documentation for my software-tool with a *.chm-file (standard help-file).

I want, that the user can jump directly to the correct position in the content-tree like in the picture attached (not index-register).

First try with "Control online help.vi" doesn`t work respectively I use it in the wrong way.

So my question: is it possible with Labview to open a entry in the content-tree?

Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(1,330 Views)

If you know the URL of the item, it shouldn't be hard.

Right click on the content item, you should get a URL like:

mk:@MSITStore:E:\Projects\help\MyCHM.chm::/Topics/Main/Item.html

Of course, if you've build the chm, you would be able to predict the URLs in a more systematic way (e.g. you shouldn't have to right click to get URLs). 

If you use the Control Online Help function, wire the part after :: to the key, the path to the path, and the help should open (or jump to) with the context.

wiebeCARYA_0-1664352345689.png

Message 2 of 13
(1,306 Views)

Thanks wiebe,

I use the only simple freeware-tool I found named Helpmaker. Its not supported since years.

I found the Url´s in the CHM-file and the correct side will open. But the content-tree will not expand...Do you have an idea, how this works?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(1,288 Views)

@Tanchris wrote:

Thanks wiebe,

I use the only simple freeware-tool I found named Helpmaker. Its not supported since years.

I found the Url´s in the CHM-file and the correct side will open. But the content-tree will not expand...Do you have an idea, how this works?

It should (it does for me) when I use the function's 'Key' option...

It could be something specific to your chm file, but we'd need that file (or a mockup) to examine it.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(1,273 Views)

Thanks and thats right...

Here is the chm-file for testing...please don't wondering, I`ve tried out a lot since yesterday...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(1,260 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Of course, if you've build the chm, you would be able to predict the URLs in a more systematic way (e.g. you shouldn't have to right click to get URLs). 

If you use the Control Online Help function, wire the part after :: to the key, the path to the path, and the help should open (or jump to) with the context.

Hmm.  I don't get a URL when I right-click:

paul_cardinale_0-1664369566577.png

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(1,241 Views)

I got the Url when I press the "?" in the upper left corner und click "jump to url" (see attached file...)

As example like this: mk:@MSITStore:C:\01_Software\01_Testbench\documentation\helpTestbench\_tmphhp\helptestbench.chm::/konfigurationprüfen.html

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(1,224 Views)

This opens the DCU characteristics page (I got the URL by right clicking the page, then properties):

wiebeCARYA_0-1664374212421.png

This opens the DCU characteristics page, and selects the item in the content tree:

wiebeCARYA_1-1664374292713.png

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(1,218 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Hmm.  I don't get a URL when I right-click:

paul_cardinale_0-1664369566577.png

Me neither in this chm file...

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(1,215 Views)

Thats exact what I´m looking for...but when I start the att. vi...only the correct right page will load, not the tree...

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(1,206 Views)