From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modbus I/O server: a small bug

Dear NI support,

this post is for to signal a bug in the Modbus I/O server available in the RT and DSC module.
Through the  "View I/O Items" it is displayed a list of available "I/O items". The list includes the standard Modbus register as Coils, Discrete Inputs, Holding Registers and Input Registers.
For each entry of the "I/O items" are shown three information area: "Item data type", "Item access type" and "Item description".
1-
For  Holding Registers (3xxxxxx) the "Item data type" displays a double-precision number and "Item description" displays "Access 16-bit input registers encoded as unsigned integers ranging from 0 to 65535."
The Modbus standard defines the Holding Registers as 16-bit word,  the "Item description" is correct and the "Item data type" is faulty.
When shared variable is linked to a  Holding Register, the shared variable became a double precision number, this is faulty and misleading for the user.
2-
For  Input Registers (4xxxxxx) the "Item data type" displays a double precision number and "Item description" displays "Access 16-bit input registers encoded as unsigned integers ranging from 0 to 65535."
The Modbus standard defines the Input Registers as 16-bit word,  the "Item description" is correct and the "Item data type" is faulty.
When shared variable is linked to a Input Registers, the shared variable became a double precision number, this is faulty and misleading for the user.
3-
The bug is present in the Modbus I/O server both Slave and Master.

I attach a screen shot of "View I/O Items" panel both for  Holding Registers and  Input Registers.

Regards,
Asper
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,451 Views)
Grazie per l'importante feedback.
Ho provveduto a passare l'informazione alla ricerca e sviluppo.
Distinti saluti,
Giuseppe
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,220 Views)