LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Micro-Nuggets !!! ~~~~ Post 'em if you got 'em

Need a Zoom in LabVIEW ?

These very inexpensive mice from Microsoft (typically selling for $12) have a dedicated zoom button. I use it a lot in LabVIEW. You can still work while you are zoomed.

mouse.jpg

mag.JPG

Richard

Message 41 of 361
(7,003 Views)

@broken Arrow wrote:

Need a Zoom in LabVIEW ?

These very inexpensive mice from Microsoft (typically selling for $12) have a dedicated zoom button. I

It looks like you're using the Windows 7 magnifier. For that, you don't need a special mouse. In Win 7, you can configure any mouse (or at least the very simple MS mouse I have) to have custom actions for specific programs, so I just configured mine to open and close the magnifier if I click the middle button while in a LV window. I don't usually remember to use it, though. I assume that in your case, the special button is simply configured to globally control the magnifier.

@tst wrote:

@broken Arrow wrote:

Need a Zoom in LabVIEW ?

These very inexpensive mice from Microsoft (typically selling for $12) have a dedicated zoom button. I

It looks like you're using the Windows 7 magnifier. For that, you don't need a special mouse. In Win 7, you can configure any mouse (or at least the very simple MS mouse I have) to have custom actions for specific programs, so I just configured mine to open and close the magnifier if I click the middle button while in a LV window. I don't usually remember to use it, though. I assume that in your case, the special button is simply configured to globally control the magnifier.

Not 7. I'm running XP. The mouse comes with Intellipoint software which enables the magnification button. The button is on the left side of the case of the mouse, leaving all the other buttons as is.

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 43 of 361
(6,978 Views)

Now- If only this could work THROUGH GotoMeeting.  Smiley Sad

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 44 of 361
(6,877 Views)

Did you know?..... Pressing Ctrl while opening a VI (double-clicking) will open both the Front Panel and the Block Diagram, with the Block Diagram formost.

Richard

Message 45 of 361
(6,725 Views)

Did you know?

You can drag a filename into a control rather than using the Navigate button and going through all this mouse clicks? Check it out...

First, select the Path Control and allow it to accept Drops...

Allow_drop.png

Super-easy to drag from the desktop!

Pow_Path.png

Richard

Message 46 of 361
(6,637 Views)

I think that Enable Dropping is selected by default.  I actually use transparent classic paths as background objects which allows the entire FP to be a drop target without any fancy API calls.

While I am here, a couple of my favorite Auto-wiring tricks.  It used to bug me when going for the unwanted wire stub that the autotool would always switch at the last second to the wiring tool.  Now I have learned to roll with it.  Let's say it is early in the morning and the coffee is working a bit too well and you have something like the uppper wire here.

WiringTricks.png

Do you need to select the wire and put down your coffee to hit the delete key? Nope, just rewire it and the autowire will remove your previous handiwork.  Likewise, if you have a broken stub you can just create a loop in the wire (for example complete the corner) and LV will automatically remove the entire broken wire.  Again, no keystrokes or autotool shenanigans.  Sure you can right-click and clean the wire, but those right-click menus are awfully slow on some of my machines....

Message 47 of 361
(6,619 Views)

Christopher Relf just posted this over at LAVA a few days ago. I'm not sure if it has been posted here yet, but it's worth making sure folks have seen it.

http://blog.sixclear.com/post/4262272653/labview-suspend-when-called

From the Sixclear website....

VI High #11: How to Use “Suspend When Called” in SubVI Node Setup in LabVIEW

You may shake your head in disbelief as we explore an often overlooked feature in LabVIEW: the “Suspend when called” option in the SubVI Node Setup menu. Your life is about to get better.

Message 48 of 361
(6,608 Views)

I thought someone had proposed an idea that as a debugging tool, a special sort of probe could be used to force a value onto a wire.  But I can't find it right now.  (If I can't find it, maybe I'll propose it.)

But this method would be a way to get that functionality until then.  If you have a wire where you know you might want to change its value during execution (let's say a double floating point), you insert a simple subVI into the wire where you just have a numeric in and numeric out and use this method.

Of course since you need to know what wire you want to inject a value into before you start your VI, you might as well just drop a Select function with a boolean and a FP control for the value you want to inject.

0 Kudos
Message 49 of 361
(6,598 Views)

A little trick that is easily forgotten, although it is (or was) in the basic courses...

You can set a range in the Selector Label.   

..3 means "less than or equal to 3"

4..20 means "greater than or equal to 4 but less than or equal to 20"

21.. means "greater than or equal to 21"

The trick is to not let a number fall out of the ranges in the Selector Label, otherwise you will get an error.  See snippet below...

This is very handy and can replace many Rube Goldberg implementations where you need specific ranges of values.

Now here's the surprise!!  You can also do it with STRINGS!! (not shown in snippet, but I can include it.)

Message 50 of 361
(6,514 Views)