From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview interface for Arduino

I am currently using an Arduino Mega with two stacked adafruit motor shield v2.3's and want to create a VI to interface with it to run stepper motors. The few example VI's that I have found are still using LIFA_base which the V2.3 motorshields aren't compatible with. I have moved to trying LINX but I am not familiar on how to interface with motorshield. Has anyone successfully created a VI to control steppers through LINX? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,806 Views)

NI introduced a interface for Arduino, that is available on the VIPM network. I've personally had some success with the diligent package (but its 50 bucks).

Edit read your full post and I did not answer your question. I only used the LIFA_base when I was working with Arduino a few years ago.

________/~~~~~~~~*********~~~~~~~~\________
Certified delinquent LabVIEW developer. Recertifying at next NI Days
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,792 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,776 Views)

Thanks for the link! Once downloaded it runs without error, but I am getting no motion out of the stepper. I have concluded at this point that since I am using a Mega 3560 instead of an UNO that it is not writing to the proper pin?  What are your thoughts on this, if you agree do you know where I should be looking to change which pin the commands are being written to?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,694 Views)

If you suspect a pin topology problem I would take a step back from using LabVIEW. Using a single shield I would follow adafruits' directions and just make sure that the stepper test works. 

Now Using LabVIEW 2019SP1 and TestStand 2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,677 Views)

Hey KFerg,

This motor shield from adafruit communicates on the i2c bus.

According to Arduino reference page on Wire (i2c) https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/Wire

The UNO and MEGA do not share the same location for their i2c pins.

Additionally, I have found an article on adafruit's website that goes into board compatibility.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-shield-compatibility?view=all#motor-slash-stepper-slash-servo-sh...

In summary, the Mega 2560 R3 should work without any modifications.

However, A Mega 2560 R2 would require you to put a jumper between A4 and 20, A5 and 21.

Best regards,

Salil Pathare

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

866-275-6964

support@ni.com 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,674 Views)