From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview does not display global referecies

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I have problem with seaching of global referencies in project.

I turn on PC, then a start labview and open my project.

First VI which I open in project is VI which is "base" of all global variables.

Then I right-click on  global vriable (A) and i click Find global referencie.

After that pop ups window named Seach result and resuls is Not ithems found.

Then i open "X" VI which contain global varialbe A. 

I go back to VI which is base of global varialbels and i right-click on global variable A and i click Find global referencie.

After that pop ups window named Seach result and resuls is 1 ithem find. This 1 ithen ist ithem used in X VI.

So i can find only this global referencies which VI i opend previous.

So my problem is that project used global variable A 10  times (or more i do not know) but i do not have idea where is it used everywhere. 

Do you have any solition for my problem?

Thank you.

Jakub

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(1,364 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kubo_3310

Open all top-level VIs and then search.

Or try "Find callers" from the right-click menu in the project.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(1,356 Views)

Does exist any operation for opening all top-level VIs or I have to click and open each one VI separately?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(1,341 Views)
Solution

@Kubo_3310 wrote:

Does exist any operation for opening all top-level VIs or I have to click and open each one VI separately?

Put them in a class 😁.

Seriously, find from a VI will only search through VIs that are loaded in memory.

Opening all top level VI's does this too. You can make a All Top Level VIs.vi, that loads them in one go. They don't need to be open, just loaded into memory.

Working OO solves this problem for me (searching for VIs, not specifically globals), because LV loads all classes in a project into memory when the project loads.

If a global has only one control, you can right click it in the project and use find all callers. If there are more controls, you'll get all references.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(1,318 Views)

I uderstand part about loading to memory, but i seach All Top Level VIs.vi or something about it, but i am not sure how can i create it or is it some system vi?

How can i open/create All Top Level VIs.vi?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(1,306 Views)
Solution

Hi Kubo,

@Kubo_3310 wrote:

How can i open/create All Top Level VIs.vi?

Three simple steps:

1. Create a new VI in your project.
  2. Put "all the top level VIs" into the block diagram of this new VI.
  3. Save the VI as "All Top Level VIs.vi"…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(1,293 Views)

Oh I understand now. Thank you so much 🙂 

For colleagues who are thinking like me.

We have to CALL each one VI (call each one function in my thinking) to one VI (one function) with arbitary name, for example All Top Level VIs.vi.

And after that it is enaught open "All Top Level VIs.vi" and all "other" VI will be load to memory.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(1,279 Views)

@Kubo_3310 wrote:

Oh I understand now. Thank you so much 🙂 

For colleagues who are thinking like me.

We have to CALL each one VI (call each one function in my thinking) to one VI (one function) with arbitary name, for example All Top Level VIs.vi.

And after that it is enaught open "All Top Level VIs.vi" and all "other" VI will be load to memory.

That translation of my (maybe too technical) idea could also be confusing 😁.

You don't have to actually call them. "Calling" means running "All Top Level VIs.vi", then it will call the subVIs. You could intentionally break  "All Top Level VIs.vi", for instance by putting an unwired increment on the diagram. This prevent you from accidentally running "All Top Level VIs.vi", calling all the top level VIs in it. 

I think we're on the same page though:

Make a "All Top Level VIs.vi" with all top level VIs on it's diagram as subVIs. Opening "All Top Level VIs.vi" will load all subVIs (recursively) in memory. A search will cover those subVIs.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(1,260 Views)

@Kubo_3310 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have problem with seaching of global referencies in project.

I turn on PC, then a start labview and open my project.

First VI which I open in project is VI which is "base" of all global variables.

Then I right-click on  global vriable (A) and i click Find global referencie.

After that pop ups window named Seach result and resuls is Not ithems found.

Then i open "X" VI which contain global varialbe A. 

I go back to VI which is base of global varialbels and i right-click on global variable A and i click Find global referencie.

After that pop ups window named Seach result and resuls is 1 ithem find. This 1 ithen ist ithem used in X VI.

So i can find only this global referencies which VI i opend previous.

So my problem is that project used global variable A 10  times (or more i do not know) but i do not have idea where is it used everywhere. 

Do you have any solition for my problem?

Thank you.

Jakub

So you can do what you are doing, then click "View --> This VI in project" to highlight it in the project, then do the second thing that thols mentions in his post

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(1,250 Views)